Can my Wide, Bulbous Nose Be Reduced in Size?

I have a wide, bulbous nose and I was wondering if with Rhinoplasty I can reduce my nose to something like the picture below. I want my results to look natural. I am not aiming to narrow down my nose and making it thin, I have no problem with a small round nose. I just want a nose that will go with my features and facial structure. I would appreciate constructive criticism and what you think should be done to achieve the look I want. I also want to know if the results I want are possible.

Refining the shape of your nose can be done

+1

Absolutely! Having a widened nasal tip region is a very common complaint of patients seeking rhinoplasty. Fortunately, with today’s techniques, the nose can be refined in a natural fashion while preserving structure as well as breathing. Techniques to narrow the nose include conservative removal of cartilage and suturing of cartilages to provide further narrowing. With today’s techniques, consistent and safe results can be performed that provide refinement of the wide bulbous nose. 

Greenwood Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Patients often present with large bulbous tips for rhinoplasty.   Rhinoplasty can change the shape of the nose by removing/adding structural elements.   There is some skin retraction following rhinoplasty.   After all, once a bump is taken down or a tip cartilage removed, where does the extra skin go?

Often, the patient who has a big nasal tip has thick skin.   The rhinoplasty surgery does not really address this issue.   Excess skin/tip width is often able to be reduced by reducing the alar base width which is removing part of the nostril.

We still do not have the ability to decrease large excess and thickness of skin on the nose without causing severe changes to the nose.  There are surgeries to help but it is difficult to control scar formation and further thickening of the skin.

By changing the stsructure of the nose by altering its cartilaginous or bony framework will make a smaller nose, but still a thick nose.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing a wide, bulbous, nose

+1

A wide or bulbous nose or nasal tip can be treated very successfully with rhinoplasty.   Decreasing the domal angle, the interdomal distance and flattening the lateral crura are the most common things that need to be achieved by the surgeon to affect the width and bulbosity of the nasal tip.  This can be achieved by removing small portions of tip cartilage, suturing techniques and/or placing cartilage grafts .  In addition, thinning of the nasal tip skin and/or nostrils can help improve the appearance of a wide nose.   The primary difference between your nose and the nose that you would like to have seems to be the thickness of the nasal skin and the location/configuration of the nasal domes.   Both of these issues can be addressed with rhinoplasty.  In the end, you should not expect to have the same nose as the picture but a more well defined, smaller appearing nasal tip that fits your face.    Of course, it is difficult to give you advice with a single picture.  There is no substitute for an in person consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing a wide bulbous tip

+1

Rhinoplasty is the right surgery to help improve your widw bulbous tip.In your case, I would suggest the open technique since it would allow for better visualization of the cartilages. Your cartilages are very large and will need to be reduced and trimmed. The tip should always be viewed together with the rest of the nose. So you may need additional work on the bridge, nostrils or the width of the nose as well. These might all contribute to getting your nose to have the best overall proportion. The only thing I would caution you about is that your skin appears thick. This will limit how much definition you will be able to see in the tip of your nose after your rhinoplasty. I don't think that you will be able to get a very sculpted appearance so set yourself some realistic goals. Other than that you should get a greta result. Go for it. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Bulbous tip rhinoplasty

+1

From your photo it is clear that there are a few areas to adjust.  The tip lacks definition and is too wide.  Sculpting the underlying framework will provide the right support.  The overlying skin is thick with fibrofatty tissue and will need to be thinned so that it can re-drape properly.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

It is very common to reduce wide, bulbous noses during rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to reduce wide, bulbous noses during rhinoplasty.  It appears that you do have relatively thick skin, which may limit the amount that the nose can be narrowed.  I would recommend a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  Board Certification by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is preferred.  Good luck.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may result in a narrower tip with more definition.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed the photos you posted:

You may achieve narrowing of your tip, but I do not think you could achieve the result in the photo demonstrating your desired outcome. The person in the photo showing your desired outcome appears to have thinner skin than you. You appear to have thick skin which will limit the amount of definition you might see after surgery.

You should consult several rhinoplasty specialists to see what you could achieve after well-performed nose job surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous nose

+1

The guarded answer is yes. The response of thining the lower lateral cartilages is greatly dependent on the thickness of the tip skin The alar base narrowing and osteotomies are straight foreward

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

The tip can be reduced in diameter

+1

We do not have your lateral view and you may need to have dorsal projection. I would recommend a personal consultation and computer imaging .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Wide nose

+1

your nose can be narrowed. As far as achieving the morphed image you seek it would depend somewhat on your skin thickness as to whether you will get that much definition and alar thinning. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon