Why is My Nose Red and Broken out 2 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty exactly 2 wks ago. My doc put tape across my nose after removing the splint, which I removed a few days ago. My nose has since become super broken out and I have red splotches across it. It looks like it is red and swollen like crazy. I put on some acne treatment but am worried that this persistent redness will cause broken capillaries & swelling. Should I be applying cold compresses to reduce the redness/swelling? What should I do? I'm scared it'll cause permanent damage

Red Skin 2 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Skin irritation post rhinoplasty is usually secondary to the adhesive on the tape. We have an aesthetician in our office who will evaluate the patient  and recommend treatment for each individual. Talk to your surgeon or dermatologist for advice.

Nose is broken out after rhinoplasty

+1

The tape and adhesives can be very irritating to the nasal skin and breakouts are common after the splint is removed. Good cleaning and an astringent will help dry the skin without damage to your result. Sometimes a severe reaction or dermatitis can occur, and your doctor can advise you as to whether steriod creams will help.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Redness after nasal taping

+1

It is likely that your skin is reacting to being cover with tape for so long. Warm and cold (alternating ) compresses may help as well as careful cleaning. This will not affect your rhinoplasty results and should clear up soon.

William H. Gorman, MD

Nose swelling and redness after rhinoplasty in Los Angeles

+1

It is very normal to get redness of the nose and/or skin breakout after surgery. irritation of the nasal skin from tape which is used for nasal implant does often contribute to buildup of oil in the nasal skin and skin breakout. cleaning nasal skin with cleansers is the best treatment.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Nasal inflammation after rhinoplasty

+1

Redness and mild swelling are often related to a reactive dermatitis from tape adhesive.  When this is the case treatment with cleansing and hydrocortisone ointment is usually all that is needed.  There is a small possibility that the swelling may be due to infection and I would advise a visit with your surgeon to make sure all is well.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breakout on nose post rhinoplasty tape

+1
You may have a contact dermatitis from the tape or an allergic reaction to adhesive. Adhesive reactions are quite normal and if determined you have an actual adhesive reaction make sure that you list that on all future medical appointments. There are other paper tapes that may be used for you in the future if you do have an adhesive allergie. Contact your surgeon and make an immediate appointment and have him do a proper evaluation. Upon evaluation and diagnosis your physician may want you to take antihistamine medication or use a topical medication, or oral antibiotic depending on the diangnosis. Until you are properly diagnosed do not use any acne medication this can be very drying and cause worse problems. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Red nose with skin breakout after rhinoplasty.

+1

Your reaction to the tape (adhesive) placed after your nasal splint was removed sounds like an allergic reaction. This can be mild, and many of my patients have experienced this. Conservative care and careful skin washing usually solves this problem in a few days.

However, I have had a few rhinoplasty patients who have had a severe allergic response to adhesive, causing even worse symptoms than your describe. Oral Benadryl (antihistamine available without prescription), careful cleansing to remove as much of the offending adhesive as possible without further damaging your skin, and perhaps a mild topical cortisone cream (anti-inflammatory also available without prescription) will help this settle down. It might take a few days more, depending on the severity.

Cold compresses are probably not advised (ask your doctor) because you could overzealously cool and frostbite your nose, or have too much water absorbed into the damaged skin, exacerbating the damage and actually slowing the healing. Head elevation above heart level (put a sofa cushion below your mattress) will allow gravity to reduce swelling more than ice.

Bottom line: call your doctor--he or she has seen this before and will know what to do to most rapidly get you through this with the least likelihood of permanent skin scar or color change. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

You may be allergic to the tape put on your nose after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

A broken out, red splotchy appearance on your nose may just be contact dermatitis from the glue in the nasal tape. You should show this to your surgeon, since you might benefit from topical hydrocortisone cream.

Good luck.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red nose after Nose Surgery

+1

There could be several reasons why your nose may have a swollen, red appearance, some innocuous and some serious such as an nfection. Since you have a surgeon charged with your care, it would be best if you had yourself checked by him to make sure you are not overlooking a serios problem. Please see your surgeon.