Nose Was Pulled Downward 7 Wks After Open Rhino with a Small Medpor Implant in my Septum & Swelled Up Pink/throbs Some-now What?

It was pink, then purple, then pink, swollen, and tender. It was mostly settled when this happened (& I just seen my surgeon, who commented himself that it was still a little swollen.) I am taping it, there was no blood, no burning pain, no broken skin, but it became pink on top/a little purple around my nostrils. It swelled up a little, too. I feel very stupid. I'm taping it the way my surgeon instructed when I needed the cast. Any advice is appreciated.

Medpor implant in nose

+1

It sounds like from your description that you may have an infection. If this is the case, then the implant most likely needs to come out.  Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Medpor Implant Infection

+1

Hi,

The way that you are describing you nose at 7 weeks after a Medpor implant sound like with infection , extrusion or both. However, only your surgeon or another qualified surgeon can make that determination after examining you. If it is infected, it should be removed ASAP.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Medpor Rhinoplasty and Infection

+1

Irsi, 

Thank you for sharing your current situation. I highly recommend seeing your surgeon. He will be best able to determine if your implant is infected. These are common findings when this occurs, and may require a combination of antibiotics and removal of the implant.  However, let your surgeon take a look any you both will cross that bridge if you get there. Although rare, this is a risk of synthetic, "off the shelf" implants.  Your surgeon should be able to guide you through the healing process and get you back in better shape. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implants during rhinoplasty

+1

Whenever an implant is placed in the nose during rhinoplasty, there is a chance of infection. This usually presents with pain, swelling, and redness. 

You should definitely see your surgeon as soon possible to determine if this is the case. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible infected nasal implant

+1

The problem with implants in the nose is that they can become infected.  If infected and your nose is increasingly swollen, tender and red then the implant must be removed.  Your plastic surgeon should evaluate your nose and treat accordingly.

Post Rhinoplasty - Medpore Implant

+1

This is a very easy question to answer. You need to get on the phone and contact your surgeon today.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Post Rhinoplasty - Medpore Implant

+1

Any nasal implant can become infected.  This can occur at any time.  Given the symptoms and signs that you are exhibiting, you should be assessed by your surgeon immediately.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty

+1

You may have an infected medpore implant.  You need close followup with your surgeon and may have to have the implant removed if symptoms persist.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Pink swollen nose

+1

On e of the risks of synthetic implants such as medpor is infection. Swelling, tenderness and redness can be signs of this. Particularly if they are new symptoms. I would recommend an evaluation by you surgeon as soon as possible to rule out this as the cause of you symptoms. 

David M. Kahn, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Medepore can become exposed or infected after rhinoplasty.

+1

Although quite unusual, Medepore can become infected or exposed requiring its removal. You need to check with your surgeon.