Nose Looks Puffy and Round 1 Month Post Op

I'm 1 month and 8 days post op and my nose looks really funny. It appears very round and puffy and it makes me look like a clown. Is this swelling? I had a hump shaved off, and my drooping tip brought up, plus a septoplasty. I hope these pictures show it looks very prominent and round and I 'm kinda scared because I thought most swelling is gone at 1 month.

Nasal Swelling 5 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Everybody has nasal swelling 5 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery. This will take 12-18 months to resolve, especially in a patient like you with thick skin.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1
Your nose looks great. I know it's hard but be patient. You are going to be much happier in 6 months and even more happy in a year.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concern about nasal swelling at 5 weeks following a rhinoplasty

+1

Your question about the size and swelling of your nose is a very common one. At only 5 weeks following a rhinoplasty, there is still going to be a considerable amount of swelling present. It can take up to a year and sometimes longer for it to maximally subside. By 6 months a majority of it will have resolved though the tip usually takes the longest amount of time.

What your ultimate size will be is pure conjecture at this point in time.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Puffy nose after surgery

+1

Nose swelling after rhinoplasty is the norm and takes longer than one month to resolve. You should however, see gradual improvement overtime. You need to communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Swollen Nasal Appearance After Rhinoplasty

+1

First off, let me reassure you that your nose will thin out and look better.  Here is the hard part; it is going to take a while.  When a large hump is removed, you are left with too much skin to drape over the now smaller nasal profile.  This results in a fat nose for a while.  What is a while?  I have seen it take 6-12 months to finally resolve. 

Whenever I do a significant reduction rhinoplasty, I have this same conversation, before the surgery, immediately after the surgery and at every post-op visit.  The reason I do this is to reassure my patient that this is normal and that it will get better. 

From the photos provided, it looks as if you have had an excellent rhinoplasty and the long term (6-12 months) results you will be very happy with.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swollen Nasal Tip Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Your frontal view clearly shows more swelling than your profile view. That being said, at one month out from rhinoplasty, you are still quite early in the healing process and should expect the tip to remain puffy for some time. The general trend, however, should be for your nose to begin shrink wrapping down to the newly shaped cartilage. Some patients certainly remain more swollen than others - you might simply be in that subset of patients. Perhaps taping the tip at the direction of your rhinoplasty surgeon might help. Good luck with the healing process. Dr. Hilinski

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

You are still super early in the healing process.  Give it time, things will definitely continue to improve and refine with time.

Jenifer L. Henderson, MD
Silverdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

+1

You ask this site's most popular question. You need to allow more time. The tip is the last to respond and this is very early in the overall course of healing

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Puffy and round nose 1 month post-op may in fact be normal swelling.

+1

Thanks for including photos. They show a good profile but do indicate a fair degree of swelling from the frontal view. This could in fact be normal swelling, and some of this is sure to "go away" over the next months to year after surgery. No one can tell you exactly how much, but it WILL go down. Sometimes an overly wide nose is the result of placement of spreader grafts to improve breathing (although this does so at the expense of visual widening of the nose). If your breathing was normal before surgery, your surgeon likely did NOT use spreader grafts, but you can always ask your surgeon.

Another consideration is whether or not your surgeon performed osteotomies (narrowing of your nasal bones) after removal of the hump. In mild or small hump removal cases, osteotomies may not be necessary, and this reduces bleeding, bruising, and scar tissue, but keeps the nasal width the same as it was before surgery. Nothing is added but swelling (and a hopefully tiny amount of scar tissue). If the hump is large, a flat "open roof" deformity results from removal without osteotomy, and this may need to be added with a second operation if not done at the first. Again, ask your surgeon.

Otherwise, be patient and give your nose time to reach its final appearance before requesting any sort of surgical revision. You should also consider seeing your surgeon again in the near future, so that if judicious steroid injection is potentially helpful to reduce scar tissue, this can be instituted by your surgeon. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon