Nose Still over Projected 8 Weeks On!

I am a 35 Yrs old man and just had open rhinoplasty 8 weeks ago. All my swelling seems to have gone, but the tip is still over projected in my view. The tip feels a little stiff will it still deprojected. If so does the tip change quite a bit or are these changes minute so you can't see them. I am so worried it won't and I ll need a revision? I have added a pic of my nose and also a digital desired pic. Can you tell me if you think this might be acheived once the nose has settled.

Overprojection after rhinoplasty

+2

I agree, Your nose is still over projected. Give it more time. Sometimes linear contraction or scar tissue will bring the tip down. Of course swelling is still present. See if you can find out what procedures wwere done to deproject the tip

Tip Projection 2 Months after Rhinoplasty

+2

Your projection will decrease with resolution of the tip swelling which is normally present 2 months after surgery.  Your computer-generated result does demonstrate reasonable expectations.

Persistent overprojection after rhinoplasty

+1

It is a bit early to say whether your projection will reduce further. There is certainly tissue swelling of the area which will create stiffness like you mentioned. I would recommend waiting at least 1 year to see what your nose looks like at that point.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Projection

+1

You still have swelling in your tip and supratip area so you will probably see some more improvement. We can't see your chin so it's hard to know if this profile fits well or your morphed image would be better.  Be patient though, things will continue to change over the next six to eight months.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Projection and Proportion

+1

Your projection is a little strong, however, you have blocked out your chin, and this is an important component in the balance of the face.  If you have a retrusive chin, an implant may be the answer, if you have a well-projected chin, your nose may be in harmony or just a millimeter or two over projected.

Do not be so quick to think about revision at this stage.  You have to wait at least a year before all swelling and settling has taken place.  Also, your nose needs to heal completely (12 months total) before revision or you will get a very unpredictable result.

Your nose does not look bad from the side in terms of shape.  You could consider an injection of steroid in the supratip area to prevent fullness.  Remember that with every procedure on your nose, the complexity goes up and the risk for a less desirable outcome increases.  You need time to get used to this nose before thinking about making any changes.

It is normal to have anxiety at this stage, try to think of this time as a marathon, not a sprint.

I hope this helps!

Paul K. Holden, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Projection 8 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Bucks,

Patience is its own reward.  There is nothing to do about your nose at this time, and probably not for the next 10 months.  Your nose will settle over time.  Get back to us in 2012 with more photos, in the meantime follow the advice of your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck and be well, hope that you eventually love your new nose.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nasal proportion determines lower nasal size

+1

Skin stiffness can feel like excessive tip projection.  Early on, your tissues are filled with fluid, like a soaked sponge, and will make the tip feel bigger than it looks.

Your tissues will improve over many months--at least a year for men.  However, your bridge was also lowered, and this action changes the proportion of the nose.  Whether you have a secondary correction will depend on whether you like the appearance and whether your breathing is good.  It will be up to you, but try not to worry this early on.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Nose still over projected 8 weeks post open rhinoplasty

+1

It is still too early to consider revision rhinoplasty 8 weeks after surgery.  There is most likely still quite a bit of swelling but I do not believe your nose will deproject as much as you would like based on the enhance photo you included.  Also with an open rhinoplasty the nose will feel stiff and numb for months and it can take a year before it feels totally normal again.

Revision surgery can be done to decrease the nasal projection but you must wait for swelling to go down more and for the nose to be fully healed and the tissues soften. 

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon