Does my Nose Have Polly Beak?

I have had two Rhinoplasty surgeries and I still have a crooked bone and septum. I am wondering if I also have a pollybeak?

From your pictures you do not need more rhinoplasty

+5

You had two surgeies on your nose and your result may not be the results that your expecting, but the third surgery may make it worse. Filler can help you and they are reversible.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Polly beak nose deformities

+4

A polly beak nose has more dramatic excess just above the highest point of the tip. You do not have that. While your dorsum could be taken down a slight bit more, this is not a polly beak.

Parenthetically, I would strongly caution against further surgery, as I have only once in my life seen a patient with multiple rhinoplasties who eventually was perfectly happy. Best to stop now while you're ahead and like the result you've gotten.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Polly beak deformity is when the nose has characteristics of a parrot's beak

+2

A parrot's beak is round at the end and the round portion projects away from the face further than the tip (end) of the beak. In attractive noses, the tip is usually the most projecting part. In your case, the tip has slightly more projection than the bridge so you do not have a "polly beak".

Jack P. Gunter, MD

Polly beak deformity in Rhinoplasty

+2

It does not appear that you have a polly beak deformity. I think just the opposit, you have an overresected dorsum which gives the impression of a polly beak. To correct this you probably need a dorsal only graft.

Polybeak deformity

+2

From one view, my opinion is no. You have a low dorsum, with a low take off but not a polybeak deformity.

You have had what is called a reductive rhinoplasty (or two), essentially, they took away. To correct the problems, you need to "augment" the dorsum.

I agree that a nonsurgical approach could improve things. A surgical tertiaty rhinoplasty will be difficult, and will require cartilege grafting from either the ear or rib, so if you go with this route, find a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

It appears that you have a small poly beak

+2

Your polly beak is very small and should be easily corrected. The polly beak looks higher than one that would be due to scarring. I would venture to say that the polly beak that you have is probably due to cartilage being left in and this can be easily reduced.

The crooked bone and septum can also be fixed. I usually only need one procedure to correct a crooked nose. A crooked nose requires the most extensive knowledge regarding rhinoplasty so its not surprising that you might still have that after having undergone two rhinoplasties. Also one thing to realize is that rhinoplasties are the hardest surgery that a facial plastic surgeon can do.

There are many variables that can contribute to a less than perfect result. Many times a crooked nose entails some complicated maneuvers along the key areas of cartilage that hold your nose up which many surgeons are not comfortable venturing into. If you are not careful your whole nose could collapse if not done well. Many times the cartilage is what is holding your nose in a crooked nature and it requires releasing cuts into the cartilage itself to release the crooked forces that hold your nose in that state. Then the cartilage needs to be reconstituted and strengthened with other cartilage to solidify the new form.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

You might benefit from a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty Procedure.

+2

I think you have a slight "polly-beak" condition. This is not the end of the world. You seem to have some fullness just above your tip.

Before considering a third surgery, you should consider an Injectable Filler treatment for your nose. You could have Injectable Filler to the upper 2/3 of your bridge which could lead to a straight, attractive appearance. Your results could be permanent, depending on what filler is used. I offer Silikon-1000 for permanent results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

See a revision rhinoplasty specialist

+2

Your upper bridge is slightly low and the tip of the nose is even with the bridge. It is difficult to say whether or not you would need slight augmentation of the tip with of without slight lowering of the cartilage just above the tip.

See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon who is used to doing these very difficult noses. I agree that the skill of the surgeon is the only way you will be improving your nose. Over 30 years of doing revisions I see patients who have gone from "ok" to bad noses by having a surgeon tell them what they want to hear.

You don't have Polly Beak Deformity

+2

You do have some fullness in the supra tip area but it does not qualify as a polly beak deformity. In fact your nose has an acceptable appearance from this profile view. Every nose has some features that can be pointed out but in your situation where you have had two prior procedures I would say it is better to stay with what you have than try to do anything more.

I would recommend that you give the nose tissues some time, about two years, to see how everything does long term. Maybe after a long time of healing you can consider some type of small revision.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Low Naso-frontal Angle After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Pinup Girl,

Your naso-frontal angle (where your nose "takes off" from your forehead) is low, likely from your previous two rhinoplasties. This gives the impression that the lower 1/3 of your nose is slightly large, but you do not have a typical "polly beak" deformity.

If you are satisified with your nasal appearance then you should leave it alone. If your nose bothers you, consult with rhinoplasty surgeons about a possible radix graft which would elevate your naso-frontal angle.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD