Is It Ok to Get a Nose Piercing a Few Yrs Before Rhinoplasty?

I want to get my nose pierced and I want to get a nose job In a few years. Should I wait to get the nose piercing because it might not be in a good spot when I get a nose job? Or should it be fine?

Nasal Piercing a Few Years Before Rhinoplasty

+1

A small nasal piercing on the lateral aspect of an ala may not have much an impact at all.  I have done quite a few rhinoplasties on women with nasal piercings and have not had a problem.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nose piercing and rhinolasty

+1

I would avoid nasal piercing before a rhinoplasty.  You can still do the surgery but there will be increased scarring and an increased risk of having trouble.  So if you are considering a rhinoplasty, have that done first.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nose piercing and rhinoplasty

+1

We have performed many rhinoplasties on patients who already had nose piercing and has found extensive scar tissue in that area. It is probably best to have the rhinoplasty first and then any piercing several months later.

Nasal piercing and rhinoplasty

+1

I would avoid nasal piercing because the hole may not close and you may develop an infection when a rhinoplasty is performed.

Rhinoplasty and nose piercing

+1

Dear membutterflies,

• I agree with the previous doctor, it should not cause a significant problem
  • You may want to remove it a few weeks before surgery to see if the hole closes and then re-pierce it after

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Nose Piercing and Rhinoplasty

+1

This is an interesting question, and one that I have recently encountered in my rhinoplasty practice. Nose piercings may cause warping, weakness, or scarring in the lower lateral cartilage (the nasal tip cartilage). However, this can be accounted for in the surgical procedure and compensated for with specific techniques or structural modifications. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon