Dent / Collapse - Can my Nose Ever Look Normal?

My nose is a wreck. I had one primary surgery to make it smaller and fix the large dent from a childhood injury. It never looked good. The dent was gone for a while (I guess the graft reabsorbed?) And the other side was collapsed. My surgeon said said he could fix the collapsed side with an alar rim graft. However, he did not address the original injury on the other side. Now the dent looks worse than ever and its flat on the other side. So weird looking. Is it beyond repair?

Dents and Nasal Collapse after Rhinoplasty

+2

Your nasal asymmetry and septal deviation can be improved if the surgery is performed by an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon who will evaluate you and explain what should be done. It is not beyond repair.

Small dents in nose are well treated with non-surgical rhinoplasty

+2

The small dent on the right side of your nose causes some shadowing.  This may be treated surgically using a cartilage graft, but it may be challenging to make the graft the perfect size, softness, and perfectly positioned.  Sometimes the graft makes the defect better, but as swelling decreases, scar tissue forms, or the graft moves, the defect may be visible again.

Using fillers to improve contouring offers better control for very small defects.  And although the fillers most commonly used are temporary, often small defects like this get better and better over time as the fillers encourage some collagen formation.

The collapse on the left side will need to be treated surgically with cartilage grafting.  I recommend interviewing surgeons with lots of experience in revision rhinoplasty, and possibly non-surgical rhinoplasty.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry from deviated septum

+1

Based on the photos it appears that the nostril asymmetry and collapse is at least in part related to deviation of the caudal (lower) portion of your septum.  This should also be addressed with your revision

Sam Naficy, MD