Can I Make my Nose Narrow Without Making It Look Pinched?

Hi, I'm a 25 year old girl and feel that my nose is too wide. My nose looks a lot like the model in this picture and I like how her results look completely natural and her nose is much narrower but still not pinched. What procedures would be required to achieve results like that?

Rhinoplasty to narrow nose

+2

Dear MagicalPixie,

Yes, you can have a rhinoplasty without narrowing the tip excessively.  A very narrow tip is usually due to too much cartilage that is excised.  In the past (1970s and 80s), this was a popoular look and a lot of the lower cartilages were removed to produce that more pinched look.  Now, that a more natural look is desired, you can control how much cartilage is excised, therefore affect how the nose looks after surgery.

The external approach to rhinoplasty can give the surgeon a better view of both sides of the tip, and then control the width of it.

Nima Shemirani

Model nose

+1
I would recommend a tip rhinoplasty to refine your tip, dorsal rasping to narrow the dorsum and lateral osteotomies also to narrow the bony nasal vault.  This would result in the natural look you desire.  Best wishes!

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Nose narrowing without having a pinched look

+1

Rhinoplasty continues to evolve.  We now are trying to look for a more natural look that "fits" that person's facial features.  There are several techniques that can be used.  Many variables can be in play, (thickness of skin, structural support, etc).  Best to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  Take the photos with you.  Together, you will come up with a plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

How rhinoplasty surgeons narrow a wide nose

+1

I will assume several things: (2) you are the woman in the purple dress [the model is in white], (2) you are not dissatisfied with your profile (side) view, (3) you have never had nose surgery before, and (4) your breathing is normal. If so, then narrowing the nose may be achievable using well established rhinoplasty techniques. Surgeons divide the nose into 3 equal parts, from top to bottom, called the "upper, middle, and lower thirds." In each "third," there are different tissues that make up each area. The "upper third" of the nose is bone - when the nasal bones are wide, they need to be "fractured," or broken, in a controlled way, and then we push inward to narrow the bones. It sounds barbaric, but it's very safe and common to perform. For the middle third, this is mostly cartilage. This region may not need any work, and will commonly narrow with the nasal bones. For the lower third, this refers to the tip and the base of the nose.  Sutures can be placed in the cartilages of the tip in order to refine and feminize it; also, the base of the nose, where the alae (i.e. the rounded "comma" shaped flaring parts) meet the face, can be narrowed with hidden scars. In all, careful planning with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in nose surgery is a must!

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD

Narrowing the nose without it looking pinched

+1

There are multiple maneuvers involved with narrowing the nose.  The nasal bones are narrowed through osteotomies to narrow the upper third of the nose.  The middle third of the nose usually follows the nasal bones through osteotomies and is also reduced.  There are many different tip techniques, including suturing at the tip cartilages, removal of tip cartilages, and multiple grafting techniques available to narrow, refine and feminize the nasal tip.  Alar-based reductions are done when there are wide nostrils.  It all depends on the presenting issues with the nose as to which techniques are used.  Make sure you find a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries prior to embarking on this endeavor.  

Can the nasal tip be narrowed without looking pinched?

+1

Rhinoplasty is entirely operator dependent.  Any degree of narrowing can be acheived.  The key is to make sure that your surgeon understands your goals and doesn't simply do the operation "his way".  Show him photos like this and express you  concerns so that he can adjust the procedure.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Wide nose?

+1
Which one is the model? Both pictures have natural looking noses depending on the focal length of the camera lenses.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon