Worried About Nose Movement After Rhinoplasty

It has been 5 days since my Rhinoplasty procedure was performed. I have been sneezing a lot due to my allergies and often cannot control the sniffling. I am concerned that my osteotomy, as well as other procedures, will be affected. Will the bones move? How exactly do they stay together after they are broken? Thanks so much!

Sneezing after Rhinoplasty

+2

Sneeze through through your mouth whenever possible.This should not effect the results of your surgery. Take the medication you have used treat your attacks previously. You will do just fine.

Sneezing or sniffing will not affect the result

+2

Allergies will not affect the result of the rhinoplasty, but only make any swelling in the internal portion of the nose worse. Sneezing or sniffing will not affect the result of the rhinoplasty. The bones will not move if they have a cast on them after the osteotomies. The bones heal by fibrous union and are set and fixed within several weeks after the surgery.

Let the sneeze out your mouth.

+2

If you let the sneeze out of your mouth instead of your nose you don't have to worry. It is normal for people to sneeze after rhinoplasty.

Avoid touching your nose for up to 6 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

You are very early after rhinoplasty and have mobile bones from the osteotomies. When you are sneezing, you must open mouth sneeze only. You cannot put any pressure on the sidewalls of your nose or you may move the bones out of position.

I would speak to your surgeon to help get relief from you current symptoms. Also, please see my response to your question about support from tape alone.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon