Nose Got More Swollen After Exercising 4 Weeks? (photo)

I had a open revision rhinoplasty 4 weeks ago, and I did pushups, pullups, situps, and went on a walk.... And my nose has swollen up like a balloon for the past 24 hours... How long does it take for this to go down? My nose looks really wide and ugly and I don't wanna go out.. :( Also will this increase scar tissue? My doctor said he had to remove lots of scar tissue from the last surgery and I'm scared I made more scar tissue..!?!!?

Temporary swelling in a rhinoplasty nose after excercise is normal...

+1
There are some general observations on revision rhinoplasty that can be made applying to your situation. It is not possible to give an exact assessment of your situation without seeing some pre-op photos to see where you started.
Swelling after any rhinoplasty can take years to resolve. Typically the bulk of the swelling is gone by 3 months though most noses get a little smaller and refined over the next months to years. A revision nose will typically take longer as there is more trauma and scar tissue to deal with. Thicker skin swells more and takes longer to heal than thin skin. Male noses also take longer to heal and swelling can last much longer.
One of the biggest factors in swelling after surgery is how much size reduction occurred. The more the nose was reduced the longer the swelling will last.
Looking at your photos it does not appear that you have terrible swelling, exercise or anything that raises your heart rate can cause some temporary increase in swelling. Usually this goes down pretty quickly. Following up with your surgeon would be the best form of reassurance. Be patient, even if your surgery was done perfectly it will take some time to see the final result.

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision BRhinoplasty recovery

+1

Dear BossTycoon,

• This is normal after only 4 weeks following revision rhinoplasty, it will go down and will likely re-swell with activity intermittently for the first several months so don't worry if it happens again, exercise is great for you
  • It will not affect the long term outcome
  • See your doctor regularly for check-ups, especially if it remains swollen or gets painful

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Post-rhinoplasty revision

+1

At four weeks afte revision rhinoplasty, it is still very early and you will swell with activity.  Good luck.

In my practice, patients are allowed unrestricted activity 3 weeks after Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photo. Sudden, persistent swelling 4 weeks after revision rhinoplasty, triggered by exercise is unusual. I see the bulge on the left side of your bridge. If you had a foreign body implant placed in your nose, your swelling could be from possible infection.

In that regard, I would suggest that you express your concerns to your surgeon, and ask to be evaluated as soon as possible.

All the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon