Can my Nose Become More Masculine, Yet Keep the Turned Up/sloped Look?

I've never really liked my nose. I don't like how there isn't a smooth progression down to the tip, which I feel is set to high. And it just seems small/weak overall.

I'm looking for a more well defined, smoother slop without reducing the size (possibly increasing it), as well as slightly lowering the tip, but keeping the turned up look. For reference, I would like it to resemble a nose like comedian's Joel McHale. What type of surgery would I be looking at?

Also, is chin augmentation something you would suggest to balance the face?

"Masculine" nose

+2

"Masculine" noses generally do not have an upturned appearance. In general they form a right angle with the upper lip. If you have an upturned nose presently, you may need a technique called the septal extension graft in order to increase projection and decreast the obtuse to an acute angle with the upper lip. A strong line along the bridge of the nose may also benefit from a dorsal onlay graft but this is diffcult to say without an examination.

Rhinoplasty for the Male Patient

+2

Hi Midwest guy,

It is very difficult to answer your question accurately without photos of your nose. You sound as if you have given your prospective rhinoplasty great thought. There are rhinoplastic techniques that can achieve the goals you are looking for.

Chin implants can balance facial harmony when needed. Have a few consultations with experienced and skilled rhinoplasty surgeons, and then chose your surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty should fit the face and keep men looking masculine

+2

Rhinoplasty is no longer about reduce, reduce, reduce. Many patients do require narrowing of a bridge, tip or other areas of the nose. However, the vast majority of rhinoplasties involves strengthening the nose as well. Sometimes that means raising the bridge instead of lowering the tip. You should seek out a qualified rhinoplasty expert to discuss your goals and concerns. I find that computer imaging helps a lot to see if doctor and patient are on the same page.

Chin augmentation is an excellent way to improve ones profile if you have a weak chin. Again, computer imaging is great for demonstrating potential changes.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

More masculine nose with rhinoplasty

+1

The turned up and sloped look does give the nose more of a feminine look, not masculine. Building up the bridge will give more of a masculine feature to the nose. Further widening of the tip in the mid third of the nose can be done with cartilage grafts such as spreader grafts. This will give more masculinity to the nose. This is considered to be rhinoplasty surgery. Chin augmentation can also be performed at the same time to give further facial balance for a receding and weak chin. Bringing the chin forward will make the nose look less prominent as it balances the face.

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to determine exactly what your needs are without seeing photos and/or performing an examination. A chin augmentation is a great option to strengthen the profile, and can yield great results when combined with rhinoplasty. I would need photos here as well to advise you on a chin augmentation. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Masculine Nose

+1

The nose can be enlarged or reduced depending on the needs of the patient and the desires of patient and surgeon. A chin implant will provide projection and balance of the nasal structures.

Rhinoplasty in men

+1

Hi, it's so tough to answer these questions for you without an examination, but in general a rhinoplasty can be done while still preserving a masculine appearance. The surgery would be a full rhinoplasty which will most likely require breaking the bones and refining the tip. Every surgeon has his or her own preference regarding using an open or closed technique. The need for a chin implant would also be determined at the time of your office consultation, but in many cases it can help to balance the face, especially on the profile view. I hope this helps.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS