Is It Possible to Make a Nose Longer (Upwards and Downwards Direction Not Outwards)?

I have a short button nose and I feel like there's a pretty big space between the bottom of my nose and the top of my lips. Is it possible to make the nose longer and slimmer?

Cartilage grafts may be used to make the nose look longer and thinner

+3

Thank you for your question. A formal examination is required to make specific recommendations for you.

That said, typically refinement of a "button nose" requires a strut graft and a tip graft to refine and lengthen the nasal tip.

Occasionally resection of the anterior nasal spine may allow the distance between the bottom of your nose and the upper portion of your lip to decrease.

Please consult an expert plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-rhinoplasty-nose-surgery/

Rhinoplasty to elongate the nose.

+1

The nose can be made longer and slimmer but that may or not be what is needed to achieve the results you seek.  If you are looking to decrease the space between the bottom of your nose and your upper lip, there may be some other options to consider.  It is important to achieve a natural appearance that fits the rest of your face so a consultation with a board certified specialist is recommended.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/about-us

+1

Yes, it is possible to make the nose appear longer with Rhinoplasty which is the same thing as saying the nasal tip is rotated downward.  Having the nasal tip stick further, off of the face, would be called increased nasal projection.

Cartilage onlay grafts to the nasal tip along with a columellar tuck have proven effective in cases such as you describe.  Of course photos would help in the evaluation. 

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Is it possible to make a nose longer

+1

Thank you for your question.  Yes, it is possible to make a short nose look longer if this is in fact what is required.   Without having photos it is difficult to give you specific details as how to achieve this.  In most cases, it involves a  sophisticated operation that involves the use of cartilage or bone to help push the nose downward. I would suggest that you seek consultation with several experienced nasal surgeons to see what could be accomplished.  

Donald M. Brown M.D. F.A.C.S.

Board certified Plastic Surgeon
Board certified Otolargyngologist (ENT) 

Making a nose longer.

+1

It is possible to make a nose longer but I would have to see photos to  tell you if that is what you need and how to do it.

Rhinoplasty to lengthen the nose

+1

Hello K, thanks for the question. It is absolutely possible to make the nose longer during primary or revision rhinoplasty. I use a number of techniques to achieve this, including placement of extended spreader grafts or a caudal septal extension graft. These grafts are generally taken from your septum in primary cases but if this is a revision, ear cartilage or rib cartilage could be required if enough septum is not available. . 

Lengthening the nose is a more advanced rhinoplasty technique so make sure you consult with facial plastic surgeons or plastic surgeons who perform a lot of rhinoplasty and truly specialize in it. During your consultation, I would recommend the use of computer imaging to help establish your aesthetic goals and show you what is possible given your unique anatomy, skin thickness etc. Plus, it's always a fun exercise to see what your nose would look like with a different shape and see how it fits in and balances with your other facial features. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon