Nose Job Without the Anesthesia? I'm Allergic.

Hi, I have been wondering if there is any way a person can get a nose job without the anaesthesia? I wanted a nose job, but I am allergic to something in the anaesthesia.

Nose job without general anesthesia.

+1

Nose job without general anesthesia is possible, but we need to know what and if you are truly allergic to. It is usually the patient's reaction to the Adrenaline which is normal and can be modified.

+1

Depending on what needs to be done to your nose, there may be some way to use some local anesthesia combined with a short acting IV sedation for your Rhinoplasty but you'd have to provide additional information and go through a specific anesthesia screening depending on the specific allergic response reported.

Allergic to anesthesia

+1

Since there are so many different types of drugs used for anesthesia - local injections, sedatives, inhalational drugs, etc., it is imperative to know what you are allergic to.   Having surgery without anything to dull the pain is probably not the way you want to go (and not what your surgeon wants, either), so it's best to find out what exactly you are allergic to, then talk with your surgeon and anesthesiologist to find alternatives.   

Michelle Spring, MD

Rhinoplasty without anesthesia

+1

We receive questions about having a rhinoplasty without anesthesia, and 'yes', it is possible and remarkably pain free if the local blocks are done well. For the vast majority, the anesthesia makes for a better experience. Few, if any, are truly allergic to anesthesia, and your record can be reviewed to identify and anticipate future problems.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

I believe it is possible but without more detailed medical info and a clearance from at least an allergist I would be careful in under going a purely local rhinoplasty. 

Rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

Anesthesia is required.  Many patients have adverse reactions/ allergies to various medicines including those associated with anesthesia.  You would need to find out what your reaction was.  This will be reviewed and a safe anesthesia plan will be developed.  Especially nowadays, fear of anesthesia should not usually keep one from having a rhinoplasty.  All the best.

David Alessi, MD

Rhinoplasty under local anesthesia

+1

Local anesthesia involves injection of pain blocking medication. If you are not allergic to local anesthetic than a rhinoplasty can readily  be performed under such anesthesia without being put to sleep. Many motivated patients will choose to be awake and they often take an additional sedative to get through the first injection which is not pleasant. Once the local anesthetic is injected in skilled hands a full rhinoplasty can be performed without further discomfort to the patient. Many patients elect general anesthesia not because of the pain but because of their anxiety of being in the operating room and being operated upon. For a motivated patient that is not anxious about hospitals, local rhinoplasty with some mild sedation is a very good option and we often use it.

Julian Henley, MD
Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Nose syrgery and allergy to anesthesia

+1

To perform rhinoplasty, you definitlely need anesthesia. The procedure could be performed either under general anesthesia ( to put you to sleep) or having your surgery under concious sedation ( adminstration of local anesthetic with some type of sedation, for relaxation). It would be extremely uncommon if you were allergic to all kind of drrugs necessary to perform the operation. Sometimes  counsultation with a board certified anesthesiologist could prove to be very helpful. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Nose Job Without the Anesthesia? I'm Allergic

+1

I am not aware of anyone alive who would be able to withstand the pain of having a Nose operation (Rhinoplasty) without any anesthesia. Such operation would be torture for you and for the surgeon who would not be able to see what he needs to see and be subject to constant moving and bleeding.

It is highly unlikely that you are allergic to every single drug anesthesiologists use. Your best bet is to secure your surgery and anesthesia records from your previous operation and let your surgeon and an anesthesiologists look through them to see how the anesthesia was done. They could easily avoid that method of anesthesia and if needed ever refer you to a qualified allergist to check you for any suspicious reactions.

As you get older you may require emergency operations (car accident, appendicitis) and as such it would be nice to know what real limitations you have.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Local and rhinoplasty

+1

There are many different ways to give anesthesia for a surgical procedure, and this is something to discuss specifically with the anesthesiologist. I would not recommend a rhinoplasty under straight local.