Play Violent Sports: Is the Nose Job Right for Me?

I play a lot of violent sports; kickboxing, rugby. Will a nose Job make my nose weaker? I do get hit on the nose. Sometimes really bad. Second what is the chance of a bad nose job? My length and height is normal but the width is about a lot. It starts small from the eyes but than gets bigger and bigger. Here is a drawing of what my nose looks like.

Is a nose job right for me

+2

A rhinoplasty that involves fracturing the nasal bones will definitely weaken the bones and make it more prone to fracture.  This could well lead to further surgery being necessary.  That being said, nothing would prohibit you from have a rhinoplasty if you are willing to take the personal and financial risk. 

Rhinoplasty and violent sports

+1

It is probably best to finish playing hard contact sports before undergoing a rhinoplasty.  There is no sense in straightening and refining the nose when the patient is just going to break it again.  It is important to seek out a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasties.  The chance of a bad nose job is a lot lower in experienced hands versus a surgeon who only occasionally performs nose jobs.  

Is a nose job right for me...

+1

I would recommend holding off on the Rhinoplasty until you are less active.  After rhinoplasty, the bones heal with close to normal strength, but if you got hit directly you could certainly fracture it again.  Then you would require the time off and expense of having the surgery performed again.  If you seek out a board certified facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty, your chances of having a bad nose job will be low.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Violet sports not a good thing when considering Rhinoplasty

+1

No, I would not take you as a Rhinoplasty patient with that kind of history of playng violent sports that will most likely result in another...as well..as previous nasal fractures.  Each time the bones and cartilages, of the nose are fractured, they are weakened.  I would tell you to come back for your Rhinoplasty once you no longer engage in that viloet activity.

Nose job right for me

+1

Unless you are going to change your lifestyle and fitness regimen I would not not go for nasal surgery. Why go through all the effort and risk losing it all your first time out. When you take up some other sport then explore this procedure.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a wide nose

+1

Rhinoplasty, or nasal surgery, for a wide nose is quite common.  Based on your description, it seems you would benefit from infracture of the bones to narrow your nose along with some suture techniques.  Contact sports can lead to future nasal injury after rhinoplasty and I recommend avoidance of these sports for 6-8 weeks postoperatively.  Performed properly, your nose will not be weaker after surgery, but stronger.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide Nose Rhinoplasty

+1

If you were to undergo rhinoplasty, it will not make your nose weaker after adaquate healing.  However, if there is a good chance that your nose will undergo repeat trauma, then you may find yourself back where you started.  Perhaps wait until you are no longer involved in fighting, then have your rhinoplasty performed.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Some should wait for rhinoplasty

+1

It is true that rhinoplasty where there are cuts in the bone or osteotomies, the nose will be weaker and more prone to fracture after. The answer is 'yes', some should not consider rhinoplasty until they stop participating in contact sports, such as kickboxing.

peterejohnsonmd

Contact sports and nasal surgery

+1

Can you wait until your athletic career is over? A postoperative nose should be as strong as the original in 6 weeks.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Is the Nose Job Right for Someone with Continuous Nasal Trauma?

+1

No. I really think you should wait until you stop activites that may harm your nose. Your nose can potentially be weakened with multiple surgeries and traumas, so it is best to wait.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon