How will getting a nose job effect my smile? (photo)

When I smile, my upper lip covers my teeth because there is a bone on the bottom of my nose that pushes it down.

Rhinoplasty surgery may not result in greater visibility of your top teeth when you smile.

+1

Your limited photos appear to show a broad bulbous tip that droops with smiling. If you have a prominent bony nasal spine pushing your lip down (tension lip), that would be visualized on your profile photos. Many patients experience temporary weakness of their upper lip after rhinoplasty surgery, and this tends to be self limited over 1-2 months if it occurs.

Even with correction of a tension lip, I cannot recall any of my rhinoplasty patients experiencing more upper-teeth-show with smiling.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty effects on smiling

+1

The relationship between the upper lip and the nose can be addressed with a rhinoplasty procedure. When the nasal base is narrowed (as might be done in your case) there will be less of a difference in your upper lip when you smile. In your picture the "distraction" is not your smile, per se, but the width of the nasal base.

Be sure to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience with rhinoplasty. Insist on seeing a comprehensive portfolio pf pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge his/her level of expertise and so you can see the types of results that are reasonable to expect.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

How will getting a nose job affect my smile?

+1

The are ways to address the lip to nose distance both in the relaxed phase and the dynamic phase.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.