I Want to Get a Nose Job but Do I Also Need a Chin Implant?

I'm 17 I'm turning 18 on February 8th and I want to get a rhinoplasty because my profile is really not harmanious and I've been investigating that some patients have to get chin implants, should I get too? because my chin is really flat and I really dislike my ears, can I get a otoplasty to reduce their size and the ear lobe? is there a limit of age? I added a picture so you can tell me, I definitely would like a doctor to do a "after" picture of me so I could see the results. Really thanks ! :)

Benefit of chin implant with rhinplasty

+4

Great idea! Interestingly enough, very few patients come to the office asking for a chin implant. But, the chin position makes a huge difference in the appearance of the nose. A balanced profile with good chin position draws less attention to the nose making it appear smaller. Every patient seeking rhinoplasty should be evaluated for chin position to give the best possible results. It is also possible to reduce ear lobe size for patients who have those concerns.

Chin implant can improve facial Harmony with rhinoplasty

+3

Thank you for your question. You are correct that a chin implant in addition to rhinoplasty will improve your facial Harmony from the side view.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, very experienced in rhinoplasty, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

The chin and the nose compliment each others beauty

+2

Great  job on picking up on your chin!

I agree with a chin augmentation as it makes your profile much more balanced after a rhinoplasty.  Both procedures can be done together.

Your facial skeleton is mature enough to have all the procedures performed, including your ears.

However, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommend keeping anesthesia time for elective surgery under 6 hours.  I rather you break-up the surgeries into two, rather than  having your surgeon rush to finish the procedure under the 6 hour time suggestion.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

A chin augmentation for a receding chin enhances a rhinoplasty result

+2

Based on your photograph, you are definitely a good candidate for a chin augmentation (implant), which would give you a more balanced profile and enhance the rhinoplasty result.  You asked if you HAD to have a chin implant, and the answer is a definite no, but a chin implant in your case would certainly complement the rhinoplasty result.  For males, after the age of 16, nasal surgery can safely be performed.  Unfortunately, your photograph doesn't show the ears well enough for me to give you an informed opinion.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implants often go together to help achieve balance in the face

+2
Based on your pictures you could benefit from both rhinoplasty and Chin implant procedures. If you draw a line from a point that divides your nose in half from the side view (half the distance from the point where your nose starts between the eyes and the nasal tip). This line should touch the upper lip and lower lip, but your chin should be 2-4 mm behind this line. It could be at this line if you are a male but not for females. You can learn more about this rule on my blog. Based on your picture, a chin implant could bring more balance to your lower face.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with spine removal, yes. Chin implant, yes. Nostril reduction, not sure.

+1

Dear Alann

A Based on the ratio of your nose that protrudes from your face to that which is attached to the mid-face, rhinoplasty with removal of the nasal spine is wise. 

The nasal spine often participates in over projecting the nose forward.  In 1978, we studied this subject and over the years have confirmed the importance of that maneuver as an important part in some rhinoplasties.  I cannot tell whether or not your nostrils need “reduction” because I am not sure what that term implies.  Typically nostril reduction occurs when the nostrils are too wide and the base of the nostrils particularly disproportionally wide.  Only an examination can solve that question.

Certainly a rhinoplasty is a good move to remove the bump in your nose and to restore some proportionality by recessing it closer to your face.  It appears that your chin does not protrude as far forward as a vertical line dropped from the upper and lower lip, and therefore a chin implant would be wise also. 

Understand that these are 3-dimensional issues, which are difficult to properly address from only a profile and frontal view.  However, at consultation you would have the opportunity to have all of these factors discussed with a surgeon who has the chance to fully examine your nose and chin, and evaluate your facial structure. 

Hopefully this will help you sort out the issues.  One thing that surprised me was that one of the surgeons “didn’t know you could” remove the nasal spine.  Frankly, that suggests a surgeon who probably is not a “super specialist” in nasal cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.  I would say that your other consultants may be more appropriate for your particular needs.   And incidentally, in my 34 years of practice, removing the spine has never caused a problem. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Chin Implant and Nose Job

+1

From the one profile photo that you posted it appears that a chin implant would help balance your face after rhinoplasty.  Doing an otoplasty (ear pinning) at the same time would also be possible.

The best way to tell for sure is to visit several Plastic Surgeons and get their opinions.  They will be able to evaluate your overall facial proportions and evaluate the position of your jaw.  You may even benefit from some orthognathic (jaw) surgery rather than a chin implant.  Be sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has performed surgery of the facial bones.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant with rhinoplasty

+1

Based on this one photo, it appears that you would benefit from a chin implant. In your case, this would help provide a nice balance for your profile. Regarding the otoplasty, this can certainly be done at the same time as the rhinoplasty as well. From this view, it is difficult to tell exactly what you would need, but it appears that you may be a good candidate for an otoplasty. Obviously, a face-to-face consultation would be necessary for a thorough evaluation.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant

+1

Hello Alann.  Yes, a chin implant would certainly improve your facial proportions and help to make your nose appear smaller.  These two procedures go well together in cases like yours, and I strongly recommend both for you based on the photograph you submitted.  Good luck!

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon