I Want a Nose Job but Don't Want It to Change my Total Appearance

Hi, I have hated my nose since high school and have now decided to get a nose job. My nose is too wide and big when i smile (even bigger than my dad's, who i inherited my nose from). But I just want to get rid of some of the wideness but not get it totally reconstructed, is that possible?

Rhinoplasty Without Changing Total Appearance

+2

First, the abnswer to your question is YES. A good rhinoplasty surgeon will change the undesireable characteristics of your nose and try to meet your goals as long as the end result is proportional and consistent with your surrounding facial features.

Natural looking rhinoplasty

+2

Patients who complain of having a large nose reduced, but still want to maintain their look, are great candidates for preoperative imaging.  This way the patient can see the proposed outcome prior to undergoing surgery.  The surgery to make a large nose smaller, keeping the overall shape intact is very possible. 

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Nose is in the middle of the face and therefore has a profound effect on the way facial appearance. Reducing teh width of the nose will affect the overall appearance of your face. The facail structures will be more harmonious. See before and after photos to get some idea. Computer imaging will also help you see the impact of this procedure on your face.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing the African American nose

+1

There are certain ethnic considerations to be considered in the African Anmerican nose. The breadth of the nasal base is of particular concern. When surgically narrowing this, care must be taken to preserve a natural look and not over correct. All parts of the nose must be kept in proper proportion.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty for improvement and not radical change

+1

Rhinoplasty can be tailored to your particular aesthetic goals, assuming these goals do not affect your breathing.  Computer simulations can help you get an idea of the goals of the surgery.  In general, decreasing the width of nostrils involves performing alar base narrowing incisions, which potentially can be visible.  It is important that you view many before and after photos of patients of your doctor's who have similar features as you.  That way, you can see if these final outcomes are something you could live with for yourself.  I would be happy to provide you a comprehensive evaluation!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Less is More" when it comes to Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery of today is much more conservative than years ago.  Reducing the wider nose can be challenging, but a reduction of the wide nostrils, and narrowing of the bridge can make the difference that you are looking for without dramatically changing your look.  Most patients want to look like themselves after surgery, but want to see the improvement in the area that bothers them.  In Rhinoplasty surgery, we often say that "less is more", meaning that it is usually best to tell your surgeon exactly what bothers you, and lean towards a conservative appoach.  Disappointment is always possible, so consult with several surgeons, and choose the one with whom you feel the most comfortable.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

There are many different ways to perform a rhinoplasty, it is important to communicate with your surgeon prior to your procedure with your particular goals and expectations. The procedure can then be customized to your needs.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with several of the other physicians that the use of an imaging computer is a great tool in showing you what the proposed results would be. I use an Imaging computer on all facial consultations and find that this facilitates the patients understanding of the proposed changes. I would suggest finding a physician in your area that uses digital imaging. It is important that the patient and physician have a clear understanding of the expected surgical results.

Michael Elam, MD

Keeping wide nose natural

+1

In general you can keep "your nose" by not altering the tip shape. Thus you can work on decreasing your alar rim width and alter the dorsum but not alter the tip shape, and you will  be more apt to have maintain "your nose".

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon