I want to fix my wide bulbous nose and reduce my nostrils. Can I get a nose job at 13? (photos)

Hi. I turned 13 early in January this year and I wanted to get a nose job during summer break, which is in about a month (which means I'll be 13 and a half). My nose is very big/wide and people at school have been bullying me, and I even some relatives say that my nostrils are big. I want to have a nostril reduction, fix a 'bulbous nose'. Both are just reconstructing cartilage so it's ok, right? And will my face grow/change and ruin the nose job later on? I just want a subtle job done.

Age for rhinoplasty

+1
13 is pretty much the minimum.  If there is no change in the appearance of your nose, I feel it would be safe to have the surgery that you are seeking.  It is important to be conservative in the procedure, especially at your young age.

Abilene Facial Plastic Surgeon

Young adult wanting rhinoplasty surgery

+1
The time for rhinoplasty is when you have stopped growing. I usually like to wait 1 year after you have changed your last shoe size. Although you do not like your nasal tip, your bone structure may change in the next couple of years. It is probably better to wait, but your surgeon can help you make the decision.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I get a nose job at 13?

+1
It is generally accepted that the nose reaches adult size in most patients at 15 in females and 16-17 in males. A rhinoplasty can be performed after that time.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, evaluating your level of maturity, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure with you and your parents would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Can I have the rhinoplasty at age 13?

+1
  • I would recommend waiting as your nose may not have fully reached its adult size and shape.

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon