Nose Injury After Fixing Deviated Septum 5 Years Ago? (photo)

5 years ago, I had surgery to fix a deviated septum that was made worse from boxing. My doctor at the time told me that if I had come to him right after the trauma, I might have been able to avoid surgery. 2 days ago, while boxing, I injured my nose. The septum seems to be swollen, though the outside of my nose is fine. I can only breathe through one nostril. The middle of my upper lip feels odd when I smile widely. I'm new to Dallas, and I don't even have a GP yet. Am I overreacting?

Boxing and septal deviation

+1

Dear Bryan

• Sorry to hear about the nose injury. Call and make an appointment to make sure you dont have a septal hematoma.
  • The strange sensation in your lip may represent a fracture of or near your nasal spine.
  • Make an appointment. 

Web reference: http://drtravistollefson.com

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Injury After Fixing Deviated Septum 5 Years Ago?

+1

Always best to seek in person medical/nasal evaluation. ENT or Plastic surgeons can address this issue. 

Deviated septum surgery

+1

Dear bryan201,

• This really should be evaluated by an ENT physician or plastic surgeon
  • If there is a blood collection within the septum, it needs to be drained
  • I know Sam Lam in Plano is an excellent surgeon you may want to contact

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nose Injury and Unilateral Breathing Obstruction

+1

A nose injury that causes a unilateral breathing obstruction may be the result of swelling, but there may a structural issue.  Only an exam would be able to differentiate the two.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Could be swelling or could be septal deviation

+1

Blunt trauma to the nose can cause the septum to shift, fracture or dislocate to one side.  I would recommend you get examined to make sure there is not something more serious like a septal hematoma (blood collected around the septum).  If you have a structural septal problem causing your problem it can be corrected with revision septoplasty or septorhinoplasty.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It's difficult to determine what's happened without looking inside your nose. The most urgent complication would be a septal hematoma though your nostril photo suggests that there is no fluid collection in your septum. If you feel like your nasal bridge or septum have shifted you should seek a consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon to determine if a closed reduction needs to be performed to remedy the damage. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facial-trauma/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.