Nose Injury After Fixing Deviated Septum 5 Years Ago? (photo)

5 years ago, I had surgery to fix a deviated septum that was made worse from boxing. My doctor at the time told me that if I had come to him right after the trauma, I might have been able to avoid surgery. 2 days ago, while boxing, I injured my nose. The septum seems to be swollen, though the outside of my nose is fine. I can only breathe through one nostril. The middle of my upper lip feels odd when I smile widely. I'm new to Dallas, and I don't even have a GP yet. Am I overreacting?

Boxing and septal deviation

Dear Bryan

• Sorry to hear about the nose injury. Call and make an appointment to make sure you dont have a septal hematoma.
  • The strange sensation in your lip may represent a fracture of or near your nasal spine.
  • Make an appointment. 

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Injury After Fixing Deviated Septum 5 Years Ago?

Always best to seek in person medical/nasal evaluation. ENT or Plastic surgeons can address this issue. 

Deviated septum surgery

Dear bryan201,

• This really should be evaluated by an ENT physician or plastic surgeon
  • If there is a blood collection within the septum, it needs to be drained
  • I know Sam Lam in Plano is an excellent surgeon you may want to contact

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Nose Injury and Unilateral Breathing Obstruction

A nose injury that causes a unilateral breathing obstruction may be the result of swelling, but there may a structural issue.  Only an exam would be able to differentiate the two.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Could be swelling or could be septal deviation

Blunt trauma to the nose can cause the septum to shift, fracture or dislocate to one side.  I would recommend you get examined to make sure there is not something more serious like a septal hematoma (blood collected around the septum).  If you have a structural septal problem causing your problem it can be corrected with revision septoplasty or septorhinoplasty.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's difficult to determine what's happened without looking inside your nose. The most urgent complication would be a septal hematoma though your nostril photo suggests that there is no fluid collection in your septum. If you feel like your nasal bridge or septum have shifted you should seek a consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon to determine if a closed reduction needs to be performed to remedy the damage. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon