Should I get a nose implant to raise the height of the bridge? (photo)

Along with alarplasty, a dorsal implant was suggested to me. Are these implants always synthetic? What's the longevity of such implants? Will the addition of an implant significantly lengthen the time it takes to recover compared to just alarplasty alone?

Implant for nose augmentation

+2
Unfortunately, the front view is not available for perusal, however, based from you side view photo alone, your apex and bridge are relatively low; the tip is inadequately projected and most likely have less definition. The alar base is also low in position and possibly flaring.
With thick skin at the tip of the nose and proper design of the implant plus cartilage cushioning at the tip of the implant, the chance of complication from silicone implant is extremely low.
An alternative to the silicone implant is the use of septal and ear cartilage. Rib cartilage may also be an option.

Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal augmentation with rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for your question. In my practice, I do not recommend any synthetic materials to be used in the nose. To elevate the height of the bridge and to increase the definition in this area, I would recommend using your own cartilage. The best options involve taking a small amount of cartilage from your septum (inside your nose), or to use some cartilage from your ear or rib region. This provides natural building material from your own body which is much less likely to get infected or be rejected. The amount of recovery time is definitely longer with a full rhinoplasty rather than with an alarplasty alone, but it may be worth your while to address during your procedure. 

-Dr. Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a nose implant to raise the height of the bridge?

+1
Either an implant or cartilage grafting may be appropriate.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Dorsal augmentation to the bridge

+1
Dorsal augmentation to the  nose can be accomplished with Silastic dorsal implants or the patient's own cartilage. The amount of augmentation usually will determine which material to use. It's difficult to stack 2- 3 layers of cartilage together and get very even edges without them showing through the skin when using cartilage. The Silastic dorsal implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation.