Nose Hurting and Incision Line Slightly Red?

Hi it's been 2 and a half weeks since surgery and I am very happy with my results but today my nose is feeling more tender than usual and the incision line is slightly red. Is this normal at this time post op or should I be worried?

+2

Dear Sg,

It is normal to have some tenderness and slight redness to the incision line, however, it is best to be checked by your surgeon if you are worried about it.  If the entire tip is red, or starts getting more swollen and more red, then you should call your surgeon immediately.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Concern for infection after rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for the question.  Infections after rhinoplasty are actually quite rare but they can happen.  The tenderness and redness are enough to have you touch base with your plastic surgeon.  Its probably nothing but it would be best to have him/her evaluate you and make sure.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty - post operative tenderness and redness

+1

Thank you for your question. Some tenderness or slight redness at the incision site is not uncommon during the 2-3 week period following rhinoplasty. However, that should be improving over time and not worsening in any way. It is best to check with your surgeon if you have any concerns. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Pain 2 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Between 2 and 3 weeks, your nose is beginning its contraction phase of healing.  This means that a red incision is normal, but increasing pain is not.  If your tenderness just began, then wait another day to see if it worsens or improves.  If it does not improve, it is best to have your surgeon re-examine you to make sure that you are not beginning to get infected.  

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon