Will my Nose Hump Go Away 2 Weeks After London Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I had Rhinoplasty 2weeks ago to help me breathe easier. I had a prominent hump on my nose and my nose deviated one centimetre to the right. I had my splint removed after 10 days and was shocked to see that my nose still had a hump which looked slightly smaller than the original one.

But having said that, the rest of my nose is still swollen. So I am still worried,as I think that when my swelling has gone,the hump will be even more noticeable. Or do you think the hump is just swelling as well? Please give me some reassurance. Thank you.

Ask your doctor if the hump will go down after rhinoplasty

+2

Dear tancarin,

It is very important to take your concerns to your surgeon and ask the doctor directly.

It is possible that some of the remaining bump you see is swelling which will go down in time.

I have my patients massage gently in the area of swelling but not before 4 weeks because i do not want the bones to move.

If the bump feels hard, like bone, then perhaps enough of the underlying tissue was not removed.

However your surgeon is the best person to anser this and help alleviate your concerns.

Do Nasal Humps Go Away After Rhinoplasty?

+1

Real humps do not go away. If it is early post-op fullness or swelling and not a hump after rhinoplasty then it can go away with time, but if there is a residual bony hump it is uncommon that it will go away on its own. However, this is one of the more common side effects of secondary rhinoplasty and is the easiest to correct as often it can merely be rasped in the office under local anesthesia at 6-12 months post-op.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Bump present 14 days after surgery

+1

Too early to tell if your bump has been removed.  It can take weeks for swelling to dissipate so give it some time for the swelling to resolve.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing bump on nose

+1

Do not believe the "bump" on top of nose which consists of bone and cartilage will flatten significantly absent further surgical intervention.  Would consider raising tip slightly to achieve more feminine columella-lip angle if you seek revision.  Your primary surgeon is best qualified to answer these questions however, and he or she is the one to whom they should most appropriately be addressed.

Steve Laverson, MD

Takes a month for the nose to take shape

+1

Since it has only been two weeks after your rhinoplasty, you still have a significant amount of swelling in the nose. The nose does not even start to take shape until at least one month after a rhinoplasty surgery. It is impossible to tell at two weeks that your bump has been removed since it is still swollen.

Time will tell, but see your surgeon

+1

Dear Tancarin,

On patients who have relatively large bumps, swelling in the skin over the bump can mimic a remnant bump for several weeks even though the underlying bump is actually gone. Sometimes the bump was not removed as much you thought it would have been. An exam by your surgeon can differentiate between the two. As it takes about a year for a nose to settle down, you have plenty of time to see improvements and should not be so worried at this point. Good luck.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Hump correction desirable with rhinoplasty

+1

Probably the number one request with rhinoplasty is correction of the hump over the bridge of the nose. Changes in the tip are subtle and quite attractive however nothing is more noticable that a prominent nasal hump.

The pictures you have sent clearly show the high convex dorsum in both pictures or side views. If these are your "after" pictures then it is unreasonable to expect that the hump will go away as the swelling goes down. The hump has not been corrected.

Perhaps it was unclear to you or your surgeon as to what the goal of your nasal surgery was. For this reason, in Chicago where I practice, we use computer imaging and simulation to help clarify the goal of rhinoplasty. The computer of course cannot tell you what the result will be, but if the hump is present in the after plan, it is sure to be there when the splint is removed.

If there has been no surgery on the bridge or hump you need not wait a year to correct it. Make sure your surgeon understands the goal!

Best of Luck.

May need more time to resolve

+1

Of course your surgeon will be able to give you the specific answer to your questions. From the photo that you have presented it appears that the hump is still there. There are also other features of you nose that may or may not of been addressed. You appear to have a low radix. The radix is the most inward point at the top of your nose above the dorsal hump. This point should be level with the crease of your upper eyelid.

Since your radix appears to be low, a simple removal of the hump may give you an unusual appearance. It is difficult to say for sure just looking at a photograph. If the radix is low then it is possible that you would benefit from a graft placed in this area. Computer imaging would be very helpful to determine if this was going to be of benefit. Speak with your surgeon, review your requests and expectations and discuss your recovery.

Hump still there after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Tancarin,

Your surgeon is the best person to speak with regarding your hump concerns. It appears as if the very top of your nose is shallow. It is best to wait at least 6 months after Rhinoplasty to re-access the nose, and revision surgeries are not recommended for at least 6 to 12 months after the original surgery.

After 4 to 6 weeks, if the hump still bothers you, you can speak to your surgeon about the benefits of having temporary filler placed to fill that shallow area (the so called non-surgical nose job) at the top of your nose to camouflage the hump.

Be patient and speak with your surgeon. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

You need to discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon.

+1

You can not get a reliable answer without speaking to your doctor who did the surgery. They can examine you and feel the bump you see and give you a reliable answer. Photos do not tell the full story. The only answer I could give you is that it might go away if it represents swelling.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD