Is Nose Hump Made of Flexible Cartilage or Bone?

I have a prominent hump on the bridge of my nose. I am aware the cartilage can be formed into different shapes over time, so I have been pressing on the bump continually for days. is it actually made of bone because I am getting zero results. In fact the hump seems to be getting larger.

Composition of Nasal Hump

+1

A nasal hump is usually both cartilage and bone. Your massage of this hump will not decrease it's size but only irritate the surrounding tissue. You can gracefully accept the hump or get  consutation(s) regarding alternative treatments.

Anatomy of nose hump

+1

A nasal hump is made of both bone and cartilage.  However, the amount of bone or cartilage will differ based on each individual. The only way to smooth out a hump is through surgery.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Bone and Cartilage Nose Hump for Rhinoplasty

+1

Improving the hump or bump on the nose is one of the most common rhinoplasty requests. This bump is normally made of both bone and cartilage. Pressing on the nose itself will not reduce the hump, unless one presses hard enough to break the nose. Rhinoplasty surgery is required to reduce the nasal hump.  Speak with a rhinoplasty surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rubbing Nasal Cartilage (Like Other Body Parts) May Make It Larger (Not Smaller)

+1

Hi Anon,

All the rubbing in the world will not make a nasal hump smaller, in fact as in your case it may appear slightly larger from the constant irritation.  Usually the major portion of a nasal dorsal hump is cartilage with bone also contributing.  To reduce the hump, rhinoplasty is required.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nasal Hump

+1

Pressing on the nasal hump is unlikely to do anything other than give you a sore nose.  The "hump" is as Dr. Pearlstein noted, usually the confluence of bony and cartilaginous nasal dorsum. The nasal bones, septum, and upper lateral cartilages fuse in this area.  It is sometimes more of a bone issue and sometimes primarily cartilage.  Depending on the size of the bump, its removal may require a scalpel and osteotome (chisel), or a rasping device.  Removal of a dorsal hump often necessitates in-fracturing of the nasal bones in order to avoid a flat appearance to the top of the nose.  Rhinoplasty is definitely a procedure that requires finesse and expertise, so ask around before committing.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

The hump on your nose is both cartilage and bone

+1

In most people, the highest point of a nasal hump is actually the junction between bone and cartilage. These are both rigid structures and need to both be addressed in nasal hump removal. Reducing the bone is by using a special surgical rasp or an osteotome (looks like a chisel). Reducing the cartilage is by using a special scissors and/or a surgical blade.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nose hump made of flexible cartilage or bone

+1

It is a combination of both nasal cartilage and bone. The best plan is to seek the opinions of 3 boarded surgeons in your area.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Modifying the nasal hump with rhinoplasty or injection

+1

The nasal hump is made of both cartilage and bone and is a complex structure. There are only two ways to modify it. The first and easiest is to inject above and below the hump with a filler such as Radiesse®. This can sometimes camouflage the hump. The other method is a surgical rhinoplasty. This gives you the best result that is also permanent.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Your bump is both cartilage and bone

+1

In fact its more cartilage than bone. You can't change the shape by pressure. Over time cartilage can change shape. Its thought to be due to continued slow growth possibly accelerated by injury. Short of surgery there isn't any way to change the shape.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump of nose

+1

A dorsal hump on the nose is usually made up of bone for the upper third to one-half and then cartilage for the lower 1/3 to one-half.