My Nose Was Hit After a 2 Year Old Revision Rhinoplasty. Should I Be Concerned of Damages

I had my 3rd revision rhinoplasty done approx 2 years ago. The procedure involved cartilage grafting to repair a pollybeak. Recently, I was hit in the nose pretty hard, though there was no painful sensation on my part. Should I be concerned of any damages done due to the hit?

Trauma to the nose after revision rhinoplasty

+3

By this point (2 years out) your nose is completely healed from your surgery. The healing period for the nasal bones following nasal surgery or a broken nose is around 8 weeks. I typically recommend that my patients wait this length of time before returning to contact sports, such as basketball or football.

After the nasal bones have healed, your nose can certainly still break from a significant trauma but it is essentially no different than if you had not had surgery in the first place. I would ice your nose for 48-72 hours to alleviate any swelling and examine it carefully to see if there is a difference in appearance. If you have any concerns, you should return to see the surgeon who performed your revision surgery. 

Regards,

Umang Mehta, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma years after rhinoplasty

+1

at this point your nose should be as strong as any nose - if the trauma is significant it can injure the nose but typically there is pain, swelling, nasal obstruction, and visible changes to the structure

Sam Naficy, MD

Trauma after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Dear revision rhinoplasty patient,
Two years after your revision rhinoplasty surgery, all the bones and tissues are healed. If trauma to the nose has not caused any visible damage or obstruction, you should be Okay. Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

Nasal trauma after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

If you don't see any obvious damage then your probably going to be ok. You also may want to pay a visit to your Plastic Surgeon so he/she can look on the inside of your nose to make sure there is no damage.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS