Will Touching My Nose Effect Healing Time? How Long Should I Wait For Revision?

Hi, I had rhinoplasty 7 months back to remove dorsal hump, with poor results mainly bcause the nose looks very scooped out and i have alar collapse and lopsided nose because more cartilage has been removed from one side. i have been looking in the mirror moving my nose skin sligthly to see how it should look like as i have been v anxious. will  touching my nose often affect my healing time? should i have to wait longer than 1 yr to consider revision?

Due Time For Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

Dear Anithachari,

I am sorry that you had to go through a bad experience with your surgery.

Rhinoplasty revision is a delicate procedure that only surgeons of ample experience in the field would be able to give their patients commendable results especially if multiple aspects are to be addressed.

Preserving your natural looks and enhancing your facial features through the revision is very important and only with physical examination that options could be discussed with the patient to make a well informed decision.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Timing of rhinoplasty revision

+1

I would advise that you wait one year before considering a rhinoplasty revision.   The shape of the nose, especially the tip, may change over this time period.  Also, this will give the internal scars which formed from the original surgery time to soften and mature.  This will result in a better chance for improvement with the rhinoplasty revision surgery.   

Web reference: http://www.VincentLeporeMD.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Revision

+1

Yes, twelve months is a reasonable "wait" time before rhinoplasty revision.  You will notice small changes as you heal.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait time before revision rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

It would be a good idea to start looking for your new plastic surgeon now so you can start planning for surgery in the next 3 months.  At your consultation, you can get more specific answers depending on how your nose looks.  Most of the swelling has gone down by now and it looks like you are going for more major changes.

Use this opportunity to carefully select the next surgeon, revision rhinoplasty takes an extra degree of expertise.

Nima Shemirani

How long to wait for revision rhinoplasty.

+1

In 35 years of revision rhinoplasty I am asked this question often.  You should see someone now since what you are describing will not get better.  By the time you see an experienced revision rhinoplasty specialist and schedule surgery it will be 9-10 months. If it were only small things as a tiny bump on the tip we like to wait 12 months. 

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is best performed after all the swelling has dissipated and the tissues are soft.  This usually takes about a year but can be longer.

Timing of revision rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question. The concerns you are mentioning in your post can be corrected in a revision rhinoplasty. A "scooped bridge" can be augmented using cartilage taken from your septum or from other sites such as the ear or rib if septal cartilage has been removed during your first surgery. As for asymmetry and collapse of your ala, this often requires restoring support to the lower lateral cartilages using lateral crural strut grafts.

The general rule of thumb is to wait around a year before considering revision surgery though every patient is different in terms of the resolution of that last bit of swelling. Some patients are appropriate candidates at 9-10 months whereas others may be better off waiting until 18 months or longer. Touching your nose at this point shouldn't affect your healing.

The last bit of advice is that besides the surgeon who did your initial surgery, it may be worth your time to consult with other revision rhinoplasty specialists as this surgery requires a great deal of specific training and experience. Ask your surgeon to see before and after photos of noses similar to yours and make sure you are comfortable with their surgical and aesthetic goals. I find computer imaging to be a great way to communicate these goals during the consultation

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon