Upturned Nose After Nose Graft?

My doctor put a graft or something in my nose to make it look different. I don't like how my nose looks now, it appears turned up, and honestly, I don't really like it. I wanted a small, elegant nose, but my nose looks more funny now than when I started. Is this fixable?

Too little information

+3

How long ago did you have your surgery? What did you look like before and then after the procedure? The best way for the doctors on this site to assess your concerns is to see before and after photos.

Possible to have nasal surgery without looking abnormal

+2

It takes 6-12 months to determine what the nose will look like. After that time discuss your options with your original surgeon.

The nose will change a great deal in that time. If there is doubt about the surgery after 1 year see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon in your area.

Upturned nose may benefit early revision

+2

Often the best advice concerning nasal shaping or rhinoplasty is to "wait a year" as the nose will soften and settle and the definition of the tip and dorsum will improve substantially over the first six months to a year. Visible tip grafts, or overshortening of the nose may be the exception however. Swelling can cause the tip to raise up during the first few days after surgery, thougth the tip will have dropped as the swelling resolves after the first week when the splint comes off.

If the tip remains high or overprojecting it probably will not drop further to you or your surgeons liking. Early revision with removal or reduction of the tip graft is best.

I suggest you start with computer imaging and simulation to help you clearly see where your nose is now and what you do not like, and then adjust the image to be sure that the changes you are seeking are going in the right direction toward the small and elegant you hope to acheive. Your surgeon too will have a better idea of what is missing the mark.

peterejohnsonmd

Upturned nose after surgery

+2

Of course this is fixable. Express your concerns to your surgeon.

You have not indicated your time since surgery but all recently operated noses will tend to have an overly exagggerated upturned (pig snout) appearance due to swelling in the early healing period. It is extremely likely that your nose will settle and have the appearance of dropping over the next several months.

Discuss this with your phsycian and he will address your concerns.

Wait 1 year before Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

The nose is a very complex structure - little changes during surgery can have a rather dramatic influence on its appearance. We call the upturned nose also over-rotated. Whether the rotation is up, just right or down is the result of many complex factors. One of the main factors (but not the only one) is the size, shape and strength of the tip cartilage (a.k.a. lower lateral cartilage).

It takes up to 12 months for healing to be complete after rhinoplasty. Therefore, we recommend to be "a patient patient" and wait for 1 year to pass before revision rhinoplasty. Most issues are certainly fixable; in fact, revision rhinoplasty is a relatively common procedure.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait 1 year before embarking on revision surgery

+1

The nose can be brought down and back to its normal preoperative state provided that too much cartilage was not removed from the nose. Any graft that was placed at the time of surgery can be removed. On a revision surgery it is important to wait at least one year from the previous surgery in order for full healing to take place.

Upturned Nose After Graft

+1

Hi Ash,

Sorry that you did not get the nose that you desired. You should discuss your disappointment with your surgeon. You can also get some "second" opinion consultations. It is difficult to answer your question without examining your nose, and it would be helpful to know what your surgeon did during your operation. It is likely more than just the graft that has caused the rotation of your nose.

Revision surgery when done properly can help. The grafts in your nose may need to be altered, and additional grafts may be required to augment your nose. Revision surgery is usually done after 6-12 months from the original rhinoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD