Can Nose Flares Be Decreased in Size Without Looking Fake?

I am Middle Eastern, and my nose is a little wide. Most doctors recommend me to make my nose bone thiner, with a touch-up on the tip, with out changing the nose flares. I'm afraid that, that might make my nose flares look wider.

Nose flares can be made smaller

+1

The nose flares can be made smaller by weir excisions and alarplasty to the alar base. In addition, you may need your bones narrowed some tip work performed. The whole nose needs to be balanced properly so that the nasal flares are not out of balance with the rest of the nose.

Rhinoplasty and Nostril Flaring

+1

Hi Melolak,

Yes, it is possible to correct flaring of the nostrils while maintaining a natural appearance.  It is an advanced rhinoplasty technique so it is important for you to choose your rhinoplastic surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

You can have your nostrils narrowed at the time of Rhinoplasty.

+1

You should consult a board-certified facial plastic surgeon experienced in Rhinoplasty surgery so your entire nose (including your flared nostrils) can be repaired at the time of surgery.

Best of luck.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose flare can be changed

+1

Flared nostrils may change from performing rhinoplasty and narrowing the upper portions as well as the tip of the nose. However, sometimes it requires well hidden incisions to actually remove extra nostril skin. This can be determined during a rhinoplasty consultation. I published on this topic in March Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. The conclusion of my study was that nostril narrowing is not performed as often as it should be.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal flare can be corrected with Weir resection Rhinoplasty

+1

You are correct to be concerned about the advice you have been gievn.

If what bothers you is the flare of your nostrils then a standard Rhinoplasty can make the flared nostrils look worse.

The best solution is a nasal rim or nostril thinning procedure called a Weir excision (see example).

A small incision is made in the fold where the nostril meets the lip and a small amount of the nostril rim removed.

Results are excellent when this procedure is done by an experienced expert, however an inexperienced surgeon can leave the nostril looking flat.

Do your homework on the net and find a board certified plastic surgeon who specilizes in Rhinoplasty and can show you photographs of patients he/she has treated.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Yes that can happen.

+1

When the nose and tip are narrowed, the nostril flare will appear to be more. Usually the nostril width is decreased at the same time.