Should I get nose fixed or leave it alone? How major a surgery would it be? (Photo)

I don't want to change anything about the outside of my nose. I am fine with the size/shape of it. It's the part underneath that bugs me. I do have breathing issues bc of it, but I have gotten used to breathing out of one side. It's not a huge deal. It just bugs me. Would fixing this be a major type of surgery or is it something that would be relatively minor to do? I have 2 toddlers and have been hit in the nose a lot.

Should you get a nose surgery?

+2
Based from your photos, it is apparent that your have a deviated and bulbous tip, asymmetrical nostrils, and alar columella complex. You most likely have deviated septum as well.

Though it is not necessary to have nose surgery, a successful procedure will do you a lot of good, especially for your breathing issue. I strongly believe that a conservative tipplasty and caudal septoplasty can correct your nose both aesthetically and functionally.

Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are a fabulous candidate for a tip or "lower rhinoplasty," but you need to correct the deviated septum also.

+2
Dear Ermm23a;

You are a very attractive lady with fabulous facial features. Obviously, the lower part of your nose with the boxy tip is not satisfactory, and that is certainly amenable to improvement. It looks like you have a deviated septum because your nostrils are asymmetrical and the columella separating the two nostrils is not perfectly vertical. You said "I do have breathing issues because of it, but I have gotten used to breathing out of one side." Well, of course, that is your option, but most people would tell you, having had the functional surgery to improve the airway by correcting the deviated nasal septum, that they are very happy they did it. Everyone should breathe well on both sides; that is the normal state for human beings. If it is not that way, it certainly can be corrected. I recommend you have consultations with very sophisticated nasal cosmetic surgery super-specialists.You want a surgeon who "majors" in nasal surgery. Today the world is increasingly specialized, and the prospects for a successful operation rests on how narrowly focused your surgeon is.

Do some homework ahead of time, of course. Visit my website (listed below) and those of other doctors who do this kind of work .Feel free to read my books, also listed below. They are excellent as are the books of other surgeons.Avail yourself of all the information out there because you want to know as much as possible.

When you go for your consultations, do not bother going to a practice that does not do computer imaging which is also known as computer morphing. Likewise, if the practice cannot show you dozens and dozens of before and after nose surgery photographs, particularly those with situation like yours, you are probably not in the right place.You need to have a nasal surgeon who eats, sleeps, and breathes rhinoplasty and correction of deviated septums.

Best wishes from Beverly Hills, California,

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Septoplasty for crooked caudal septum and breathing problems

+2
The photographs show a  crooked caudal septum with the overlying tip cartilages are crooked as well. Important  to examine  internal portion of the nose make sure there's not a deviated septum in the back of the nose also creating further breathing issues. The caudal septum can be trimmed back and the bottom portion of the nose straightened, but this will still need to be performed under general anesthesia. A  rhinoplasty is not required.  For more information, please see link below

Is nasal surgery worthwhile?

+2
I feel that you are likely an excellent candidate for nasal surgery. To improve your breathing the very end of your septum and possibly the tip cartilages will need to be repositioned. This would not need to involve any bony work or changing of the bridge but would change the appearance of your tip a bit. In my opinion it would be an ideal opportunity to refine your tip and make it look slightly less bulbous. Something to think about...

Andrew S. Frankel, MD

Should I get nose fixed?

+2
Although you are pleased with the look of your nose--in order to improve the function and the breathing-- you may experience a structural change that may achieve both. In other words, restructuring the nose to improve the function can often require and be accompanied by a change in the appearance. The apparent injuries to the nose have resulted in a structural change with functional consequences. Most all surgery--- especially nasal surgery---is most often--Major. Make sure to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with years of experience.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Functional rhinoplasty to correct breathing can help

+2
It looks like the nostril asymmetry and narrowing is a part of your breathing problems.  There may also be internal issues contributing as well, such as septal deviation or turbinate enlargement.  For the nostril openings, the tip cartilages and front edge of the septum would need to be centered to even out airflow.  This would need to be done through a functional (for breathing) rhinoplasty.  Part of the issue is that your tip cartilages have an unusual shape.  You mentioned you do not want to change the outside appearance of the nose, but I believe that creating a more centered, symmetrical, triangular shape to the tip cartilages would help both function and appearance.  See more in the video discussion linked below.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon