What Can Be Done to my Nose to Better Fit my Face?

Hi, I live in Tysons Corner, Virginia, and have been seriously considering doing rhinoplasty for a long time now. I just want to know how a qualified surgeon who knows what hes doing would approach making my nose fit my face more? I would like to straighten bridge when seen from the side profile. When viewing the front, the tip of my nose is a little too wide and round to my liking. What exactly would need to be done?

Recommendations for rhinoplasty

+5

There are a lot of different things that can be done to a nose. That's why it is important to try and be able to express your concerns to your surgeon. From your photos it looks like your nose is wide, especially in the tip. The bridge doesn't look too bad but I can't tell if you have a bump that you want "straightened". It also looks like the skin on your nose is rather thick. This is mportant for you to be aware of since thick skin will not allow much "definition" to be seen. This just means that you need to be consevative with your expectations otherwise you will be dissappointed. Overall though it doesn't look like your nose is that complicated. I'm sure there are a lot of qualified surgeons in your area that will be happy to help you. Good luck.

Personalized Rhinoplasty

+2

When approaching Rhinoplasty operations, it is important, as you suggest, to have a nose "fit your face". It should also fit your goals, ethnicity, and gender.

I always try to define a patient's anatomy and structure to begin with. After this, I consider the global issues and changes that I am looking to accomplish. Then, I will internally go through a series of possible surgical maneuvers and consider the pros and cons of each individual step. Generally starting with the simplest plan and then adding new steps into the plan until I am confident in the overall approach.

Once the approach is defined, I then perform imaging, again trying to reflect the specific individual steps that I have outlined. This allows me to image the possible surgical outcome in the most realistic sense. If you image first and then try to figure out the plan to get there, I find there to be more variation in the result versus the imaging.

I agree with your general issues and goals. Narrowing of the entire front view will involve tip-plasty, alar base reduction, and osteotomies (bone narrowing). Profile reduction can be done in a minimal fashion. Likely, any tip work will require some structural grafting, which will add projection to the tip and make the slight dorsal convexity less relevant. Depending on the amount of narrowing you are looking for, a tip graft may also be used.

Find an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon and see if their imaging projections are in line with your personal goals. Your case is not particularly complex.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Analysis and Recommendations

+1

In short and to the point:  The base of your nose is too wide as is the tip.  I'd narrow the tip and base, narrow the facial plane as well.  From the profile, your nose  does not need any modifications, but I would suggest a chin implant.  Best, -Dr. Phil

Philip Miller, MD

Rhinoplasty advice

+1

From your picture it looks as if narrowing overall, including at the base of the nostrils, would help you achieve a more proportioned and balanced appearance.

Find a Board Certified plastic surgeon with enough experience to be abvle to show you his/her own patient pre- and post-op pictures.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Making Nose More Proportional to other Facial Features

+1

It is difficult to provide a thorough evaluation and make specific recommendations after looking at two pictures without examining you and discussing your goals but I would recommend lowering your nasal profile and narrowing and defining your tip.

Fitting the nose to your face

+1

Your profile has some mild prominence but your major problem seems to be the width of your nose. How much narrowing to pursue and still fit your face in a way that you are happy width is what you have to work for with your surgeon during your consultation. Computer imaging can be very helpful both in showing you what different amounts of narrowing would look like and in demonstrating a realistic expectation to you. Once you and your surgeon have identified the changes you would like then a custom surgical plan can be created for you.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computer Imaging Is Critical In Determining What Rhinoplasty Surgery Can Change About Your Nose

+1

When changing an important structural element of your face like the nose, it is first important to determine what rhinoplasty can and can not do. This is best done in or after your consultation with a plastic surgeon by computer imaging. Through imaging it is possible to see what changes on the nose create the best effect and what a realistic result can be. While your nose is wide and you no doubt want it to thinner to fit your face better, it is important to also realize that your thick skin does limit how less wide the nose will appear after rhinoplasty surgery. Whether rhinoplasty can make enough of a difference and fit your face better is exactly what computer imaging will help you discover.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD