Nose is Extremely Dry & Stuffy & Cant Breathe 1 Year After Surgery

I had a septoplasty, rhinoplasty and Turbinectomy -outfracture & cautery of turbinates over 18 months ago. My breathing is WORSE than before I had surgery. I always feel like my nose is wide open yet also Stuffy suffercating, extremely dry and if i squeeze my nostrils they stick together for a long time. I also have globus sensation all the time. What can be causing all of this... it is UNBEARABLE FEELING. could it be from the grafts or septoplasty? Could this be Empty nose syndrome?

Your rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinectomy:Time for a second opinio

+1

After 18 months, the nose's functioning should be stable and satisfactory.  Breathing that is "worse" than before surgery calls for a very thorough examination. 

The issue of stuffiness and dryness is all of concern.  You need to have some explanation.

First stop: the operating surgeon.  If you are not happy with the results of the doctor's examination and recommendations, or if no remedy offered was satisfactory, then certainly, you need a second opinion. 

When you go for a second opinion or consultation, be sure to bring with you:

•    Copies of the operative reports
  •    The doctor's chart notes
  •    Your before and after rhinoplasty pictures
  •    Any x-rays or other diagnostic studies that were done

It is very important to go in with a complete medical record, so that the consulting surgeon can give you his best, most enlightened opinion. 

It is no different than going in to see an accountant at year's end for tax preparation - you need to bring all your receipts, W-2s, check stubs and so on.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON