Revision for Dent After Rhinoplasty?

I had a Rhinoplasty a year ago next month. But, now there is a "dent" along the right side of the bridge area. One side is totally smooth then you get to the front/right part of the nose and it curves/veers in. How could this have happened? Also, if I do end up getting a revision rhinoplasty would Insurance cover it? I just can’t see why I should have to pay again for my doctor’s mistake. Thank you for all the advice!

Dent in the nose

+2

Revision for dents or imperfections in the nose may be relatively simple. This is best discussed with your surgeon, who may be able to evaluate the situation and fix it for you in a relatively simple manner. This is typically not covered by insurance.

Good luck to you.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty for a dent

+1

The dent you describe was most likely caused by excessive removal of cartilage. If this is true, a revision using cartilage from your nasal septum (if available) or from the ear would be necessary. Your insurance will not pay for the revision because it is cosmetic surgery. You will either need to have the original doctor do the revision (if you still trust him), or you will have to pay someone else for the procedure.

Howard T. Bellin, MD (retired)

Don't be so quick to blame the surgeon.

+1

Among ALL rhinoplastic surgeons, there is a chance that you may need a revision due to a dissatisfaction after. This may be caused by many factors, not all are under the control of the surgeon. I quote my patients that the revision rate is between 2 and 8%. As an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon, even I have to do minor touchups on my own patients on occasion. If this is needed, I do not charge a fee for my revision, but the patient is responsible for an OR fee and the anesthesiologists charges.

The only way for you to deal with this is #1 - loose the hostility, if you go in and accuse your surgeon of making a mistake - no one will end up happy. You need to explain what you are dissatisfied with and work toward the goal that will make you both happy.

Good luck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

There are several ways to fill in dents after rhinoplasty.

+1

When one has a rhinoplasty, they are paying for the surgeon to do the best job he can. All surgeons have their own revisions to do and they should be minor problems. The better the surgeon and the more experience he has , the fewer the revisions. A good surgeon can make a perfect nose every time if it is made of clay! But we have to deal with what each different patient presents to us. Though we strive for perfection, that is not possible 100% of the time. Your insurance will only cover this if it affects your breathing.

You might discuss this with your surgeon. If it is a minor thing he may not charge you.