My Nose Has Been Crooked for Years After Being Hit by a Puck. Can It Still Be Straightened?

I belive my nose was broken when I was very young (elementary school) after being struck by a hockey puck. I am now almost a senior in college, and Im tired of my nose being slightly crooked. im not sure if this is how it got this way, because I breath normally and it didnt seeme crooked when it happened. Is it possible to get it straightened, and if so, how can this be done?

Nose can still be straighten long after injury

+1

Indeed, a crooked nose can be straightened and brought back to its normal anatomical alignment. Nasal bones are straightened by medial and lateral osteotomies during rhinoplasty. Occasionally, a spreader graft needs to be placed in the mid third of the nose to bolster and strengthen a concave side of the upper lateral cartilage area. This is usually done all under use of a general anesthesia and takes about an hour to perform. A cast will be applied across the bridge to keep the new nose in place. It is also important to note that any internal deviation or fractures need to be addressed. 

Straightening a Crooked Nose

+1

Straightening a nose that was broken a number of years in the past will probably require re-breaking the nose --which is done through incisions inside the nose. Your best bet is to consult with a few plastic surgeons who can give you their recommendations based on your facial structure.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Straightening a Crooked nose

+1

While straightening a crooked nose is a challenging operation, I suggest yo have the surgery done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to achieve a good result. The exact technique will depend on your specific needs.

Crooked noses can be straightened years after trauma

+1

Even though your nose became crooked years ago, there are several ways to make your nose straight.  Cartilage grafts, stitches, and even bone grafts can all be used to help straighten out a crooked nose.  It's hard to tell you exactly what you'll need without examining you.  However, when you visit your plastic surgeon for his/her opinion, ask what will be required to achieve the look you want.  This way, you'll know ahead of time what will be done and what you can expect for recovery.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

My Nose Has Been Crooked for Years

+1

Yes! by an open rhinoplasty exposure technique. Surgery can take many hours to achieve the straight nose. seek experienced rhinoplasty surgeons. 

Crooked nose

+1

Regardless of whether or not the hockey puck caused you deviation, if you have a crooked nose, this usually can be straightened with surgery.

Crooked nose repair with Septo-rhinoplasty.

+1

Both the septum and the outer nose can be repaired at the same time by refracturing the nose and straightening the septum. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.

Straightening a nose

+1

Without pictures or examining you, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  However, the goal of a rhinoplasty would be to help improve the symmetry of your nose.  You should talk with a board-certified surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose

+1

A crooked nose can be a result of multiple factors, such as septal deviation, nasal bone deviation, or a combination.  Traumatic nasal injuries can result in external deviation by any or all of these mechanisms.  Generally, a rhinoplasty is required to correct a crooked nose.  The surgery frequently requires septoplasty and/or osteotomies (bone cuts).

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon