Nose Crooked After Rhinoplasty?

I am 26 days post-op open rhinoplasty with repair of my deviated septum. I wanted my bump removed and my tip made smaller. My nose now appears crooked. A bone appears to be going to the left a little more, and there still seems to be a small bump. Last week my surgeon told me to massage my nose and push the bump to the right. I have done that a few times a day for the last week but it doesn't seem to be changing. Is it still too early to tell? Do you think the bone will stay in that position?

Crooked Nose After Rhinoplasty

+2

You are still early in the healing process, as it can sometimes take several months for your nose to completely settle due to the swelling from surgery. It's always helpful to follow the instructions as outlined by your surgeon and allow yourself ample time to recover.

Crooked nose

+2

Although it is early, at 26 days if the nose appears crooked it probably will end up that way.  Crooked noses are more difficult to correct, revisions are more common.  Nonetheless, one should wait quite a while before revising the nose.  I would wait at least 6 months, preferably one year.  Good luck

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Post rhinoplasty

+1

Follow the instructions. At 4 weeks it is way too early to tell.maximal scarring is at six weeks. Sometimes if the diformity is minmal fillers can avoid the need for surgery.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Nose is crooked after rhinoplasty

+1
The pressure your surgeon has asked you to do is called Joseph's exercise, a very old technique to give the slightly crooked nose a little help after rhinoplasty (Joseph was a pioneer in early rhinoplasty). It might work. The idea is to push the bone and hold 15 min. several times a day. Hope you can avoid a revision.

Cooked nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

Cooked nose after rhinoplasty often appears in the first few months due to swelling. It takes 6-12 months to see the final result. Do not have any surgery for at least 6 months.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

You are still in the early stages of recovery at less then a month post surgery so I would continue your surgeons advice and have frequent followup visits to discuss your concerns. I do not typically have patients massage their noses so make sure you have the post operative instructions correct. Best regards! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Early post-operative period after rhinoplasty

+1

You are still early in your post-operative course, and as you hinted at, it's too early to jump to conclusions.  Follow your surgeon's care instructions carefully and give yourself time to heal.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD