Can Nose Become Crooked After Rhinoplasty?

Hello, two months ago today I had rhinoplasty (tip reduction, bump) and septoplasty for a mildly deviated septum and dislocation of turbinates. Now, two months later, the tip of the nose clearly points in one direction, the bridge of the nose, perfectly straight from the front before the op, makes a curve on the side opposite to where the tip points, one nostril is much bigger than the other, and inside it feels the septum is much deviated than before. Can this be fixed? Will it fix itself?

Be patient, it can take up to 18 months to see full results

+1

You are still in the early healing phase. Please be patient as it can take up to 18 months for everything to resolve and see the full results of the rhinoplasty. 

Can nose become crooked after rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly possible that the nose is crooked after a rhinoplasty even though that is obviously not the goal.  SPeak with your surgeon on how to correct it.

+1

Sounds like a revision is in your near future after healing for a year. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

Can the nose become more crooked after rhinoplasty than before?

+1

Having the nose become more crooked after rhinoplasty than before is not an expected outcome, although it can happen.

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns to see if what you see is due to asymmetric swelling. You're relatively early in the healing process right now with quite a bit of swelling to come down yet.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Crooked nose two months after rhinoplasty can occur!

+1

Even when the structural components of the nose are perfectly shaped and aligned in the operating room, the healing process then takes over, and scar tissue can pull or distort the nose into shapes neither the surgeon nor the patient anticipated. This can relate to minimal bleeding and bruising that turns into scar tissue more on one side than the other, cartilage "springiness" returning to a previous unwanted position despite the surgeon's efforts to reposition to a desired degree, splint being removed prematurely causing partial loss of correction, and other factors unique to each patient.

Typically the nose will change for up to a year after surgery, which is why most rhinoplasty surgeons will wait at least that length of time before recommending revision. Your nose will not "correct itself," but it will still change (perhaps for the better, but maybe not) for many more months. The septal deviation is subject to the same healing and scarring and springiness situation as the rest of the nose, but the feeling may be due to scabbing, or crusting. See your surgeon for advice as to what the next steps are, but be patient! Good luck!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing takes time

+1
I understand your concerns. Visible deviations after a rhinoplasty and septoplasty are not expected, but certainly are not uncommon. I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon. I typically have my patients massage the nose starting about 2-3 weeks after a rhinoplasty. If there is a visible deviation, I have them massage the nose toward the direction we want it. That would be very difficult to do with the septum, so if there is continued mild deviation after surgery (which is quite uncommon), I will have them wear a nasal cone at night. A nasal cone is a soft silastic tube/basket that places a small amount of pressure on the septum, helping it maintain a midline position.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon