Nose Crooked Again After Deviated Septum Surgery?

Hello I am almost 3 years post surgery after having both internal and external surgery to correct my deviated septum. I have noticed that my nose has gradually become crooked again over time and I now notice it in pictures. I have also had a couple sinus infections and nasal congestion again this past year. Should I contact the surgeon that performed the surgery? Are there revisions that can be done without having to break my nose again?

Septoplasty surgery for breathing problems

+2

Dear AndieVegas,

• Contacting your surgeon is definitely your first step
  • I agree with the previous doctor that getting a crooked nose to become perfectly straight is very difficult because of the memory of the skin and cartilage
  • Non surgical fillers and treatments can be used to make a nose more straight

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Deviated nose

+2

Crooked and deviated noses are among the most challenging. One of the reasons is because of cartilage "memory" which combined with the contracting scar tissue may cause the nose to redeviate. Definitely speak to your surgeon. In this situation some patients can be treated  with a camouflaging graft or filler and not have to undergo a full revision.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a crooked nose

+1

Contacting your surgeon would be a good next step for you to take. In general, correcting a crooked nose is a very difficult procedure and requires a specialist. It is very difficult to get the nose 100% straight. Your surgeon knows the details of your initial procedure, and will be able to provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD