Will Nose Continue to Grow After Nose Job?

I'm getting a Nose job this friday and my doctor didn't really talk to me much about it. The only part I'm nervous about is if my nose will continue growing even after the surgery? I'm 15 years old.

Nose will grow after Nose job

+2

Your nose will continue to grow after a rhinoplasty procedure. Ligaments do stretch and the skin could continue to sag. It should not be a concerning issue as in most cases it should be a very slow process. Best of luck!

Minimum age for rhinoplasty

+1

Fifteen to 15-1/2 years old is the minimum age for a rhinoplasty on a woman, and 17 to 18 years of age is the minimum age for rhinoplasty on a young man. It can certainly be performed at that age without any difficulty. Make sure you are having a rhinoplasty performed by a facial plastic surgeon that has performed thousands of rhinoplasties.

Teenage Rhinoplasty

+1

If your surgeon did not answer all your questions and thoroughly discuss the procedure with you,schedule another consultation with him/her prior to surgery. If your still not satisfied, get a second opinion.

It is appropriate to have rhinoplasty after puberty. With aging everybody's nose gets larger secondary to gravity. However, it is not truly growing.

Clarify what the surgery is all about; then enjoy your new nose if you decide to proceed.

Nasal growth and rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Jazmine,

It's concerning that your surgeon hasn't spoken much to you before surgery. It's important that you have all of your questions answered prior to surgery and feel comfortable prior to commencing with surgery.

An interesting study was published this year in the Archives of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery (Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;134(12):1288-1293). The authors found that the average age for the nasal growth spurt to stop in girls was 13.1 years. Using the variance within the population they studied, they concluded that 98% of girls were done with nasal growth at the age of 15.8 years. They therefore concluded that rhinoplasty could be performed safely in all girls at age 16.

It's very unlikely that your nose will grow after surgery, but it is possible to a small amount. If you're not comfortable with that answer, you should delay surgery.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Your nose will continue to grow as you age

+1

The nose has been shown to grow as people age. Much of this growth is actually due to parts of the nose losing its resiliency and structure that it had at a younger age. Cartilages lose their structure and relax and this can make the nose drop from gravity which ultimately lengthens the nose. The ligaments that hold the nose together also loosen over time and this also allows the nose to descend vertically.

Also with age, the skin can thicken. Sebeceous gland growth can happen to some degree in everyone but is most pronounced in people with rosacea who can have a rhinophymatous type of changes to the nose. But when the time comes when your nose is larger, there are ways to make it smaller again through rhinoplasty.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty as a teenager

+1

First, if you haven't been given adequate information regarding your rhinoplasty, then I suggest you call your doctor's office and seek those answers. Second, if you are of adult size and have completed puberty, then it is probably OK to go ahead with a rhinoplasty. Can the nose grow? Yes, through life the nasal cartilages may grow a bit, but it is unlikely that this will be a noticeable change.

What Age Rhinoplasty? Will the Nose Continue to Grow After a Teen's Nose Job?

+1

Hi Miss Reyes,

You must be very truthful and not tell any lies like our friend Pinocchio.

It is important to know that the great majority of your bone growth has been completed before having rhinoplasty. There are bone studies that can be carried out to assess the growth maturity of a teen. If a patient has passed through puberty, their shoe size has stabilized (as well as their overall growth), and their skin is not overly thick and oily, then they are a candidate for rhinoplasty (though on the very early end of the age range).

It is important that the patient really wants the surgery, and has thought about it for some time. They should not have it done unless they want it from deep within their heart. It will not "change one's life" and expectations must be real. They should not have rhinoplasty to "please" their parents or others.

Most importantly, choose a well trained, experienced, rhinoplasty surgeon whom you trust.

Be well, and remember, no more lies.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Need to have more thorough discussion with your surgeon and parents

+1

Having a rhinoplasty at age 15 is a little unusual. It is a little young to have a procedure of this complexity and importance. However, it can, and is, done.

Personally, I wait until patients are a little older before I consider performing a rhinoplasty. The nose continues to change slightly as we age. In general, it is best to wait until your development is stable before considering doing this surgery.

Having said that, the most important thing you should do is have another discussion with your surgeon, and your parents. Write down all of your questions and concerns on a piece of paper so you don't forget during the appointment.

After your discussion, you and your parents should have a better idea about whether or not to let you have the rhinoplasty.

John Diaz, MD

Maybe you should put it off for a year or two.

+1

Hi!

In Mahattan, we sometimes do nose jobs on 15 year old girls if we are convinced that the patient is mature (you certainly sound mature), and if the face has not grown for a year.

If you are not sure that your face (and nose) have stopped growing, it's best to put the surgery off.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

When will the nose stop growing?

+1

The nose is one of the last structures to reach skeletal maturity. I will assume, from your name, that you are a female. In females this is typcially from 14-16. Therefore there is a possibility that your nose may continue to grow. In many ways, you will be the best judge of this. Has your nose been stable for the past 6 months?