Nose Still Congested 1 Month Post Op

My nose is still congested on and off and I'm still picking dried stuff out of it with a q-tip. Is this normal? What happens if i stop removing stuff and how hard can I manipulate, because sometimes stuff just doesnt come out and I have to leave it there for longer

Congestion 1 month after rhinoplasty is normal...

+1

It is perfectly normal to still have some congestion and dryness in the nose after rhinoplasty.  You can be congested for up to 2 months because you are still swollen inside your nasal passages.  You can continue to use the saline spray which will help moisten the inside of the nostrils to relieve the dryness.  If you notice things are getting worse rather than better, I would make an appointment with your surgeon to discuss further treatment.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Congestion after rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to fee like you have a stuffed nose during this period. Being only 4 weeks out, your tissues are still quite swollen. I recommend to my patients gentle manipulation after coming out of the shower to remove crus. But, I would not work too hard to get things out, they will eventually come out over time and your symptoms should improve.

Common problem post surgery

+1

It is very common for the nose to be congested for several months post surgery.  I recommend a saline nasal spray to moisturize the nose.  Give it several months and ask your plastic surgeon if you can use a saline nasal spray.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Dry and stuffy nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Canada,
One month after a rhinoplasty surgery, there are still external and internal nasal swelling. The internal swelling causes malfunction of nasal mucosa which is main function is moisturizing and cleaning air we breathe. Best treatment for you is nasal irrigation with saline solution two to three times a day until the internal swelling is subsided and normal mucosal function is returned. Good luck and good healing.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Rhinoplasty Swelling and Congestion

+1

It has been my experience that there is great variability in the amount of swelling and congestion after rhinoplasty. The degree of swelling and congestion will depend on the patient's predisposition to swelling, whether osteotomies were performed, if the rhinoplasty was primary or secondary and types and number of grafts placed, I would recommend that you stop trying to removed "stuff" and stop trying to manipulate your nose. If necessary go back to your Plastic Surgeon and have him/her remove any residual dry secretions. It generally takes about 12 months for most of the swelling to resolve.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon