Can I Expect my Nose Shape to Change As It Heals After Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I am 4 weeks post op from having rhinoplasty and orthognathic surgery (jaw surgery). The jaw surgery was for medical reasons, and surgeon told me he works with another surgeon who could perform nose surgery too. I had always wanted to have my nose bridge shaved down, but my surgeon convinced me to have the bridge & tip narrowed too. I wanted a minor change. I am very self conscious and think my nose looks scooped out and unnatural. Is this due to tip swelling? Will this go down? Please help!

Nasal Refinement

+1

Hopefully you will achieve the nasal refinement you wanted. At 4 weeks, the tip swelling may distort the ultimate profile. Wait another 6-9 months to critique your result.

Nose Will Get Smaller Over Time After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Shopgirl,

It is best to discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon. It is so important for patients to be sure that their rhinoplasty surgeon understands what the patient wants.  It sounds as if there was poor communication as the surgeon did much more than you desired.  Unfortunately, the bridge and the tip of your nose will only decrease in size over time.  At 6 to 12 months after your surgery if you are still unhappy with the results, then is the time to consider augmentative revision rhinoplasty.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P