Can I Expect my Nose Shape to Change As It Heals After Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I am 4 weeks post op from having rhinoplasty and orthognathic surgery (jaw surgery). The jaw surgery was for medical reasons, and surgeon told me he works with another surgeon who could perform nose surgery too. I had always wanted to have my nose bridge shaved down, but my surgeon convinced me to have the bridge & tip narrowed too. I wanted a minor change. I am very self conscious and think my nose looks scooped out and unnatural. Is this due to tip swelling? Will this go down? Please help!

SHAPE CHANGES AFTER RHINOPLASTY

+1
At 4 weeks post op you are most likely seeing residual swelling that should decrease with time.  As that swelling resolves you may see some changes in the shape of your nose but your final result will not be visible for at least 6 months to 1 year after a rhinoplasty.  I recommend giving yourself more time to heal and to adjust to your new appearance.  It can sometimes be difficult for patients who have facial cosmetic surgery to get used to the new face looking back at them in the mirror and in my experience this is especially true for rhinoplasty patients.  The nose is one of the main focal points of the face so sometimes even a slight change by someone else’s standards can appear drastic to the patient.  If after 1 year you are still unhappy with your nose a revision could be a possibility but you would need to discuss that with your plastic surgeon.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Nasal Refinement

+1

Hopefully you will achieve the nasal refinement you wanted. At 4 weeks, the tip swelling may distort the ultimate profile. Wait another 6-9 months to critique your result.

Nose Will Get Smaller Over Time After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Shopgirl,

It is best to discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon. It is so important for patients to be sure that their rhinoplasty surgeon understands what the patient wants.  It sounds as if there was poor communication as the surgeon did much more than you desired.  Unfortunately, the bridge and the tip of your nose will only decrease in size over time.  At 6 to 12 months after your surgery if you are still unhappy with the results, then is the time to consider augmentative revision rhinoplasty.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD