Can a Nose Change with Age?

When I was in middle school (6th grade) my nose was a little wide and bulbous. But now that I am in high school, it seems a lot more narrow and sharp. My bridge also seems significantly taller. Why did my nose change? Is it possible that my nose will continue to change? I just turned 16.

Nose Changes with Age

+1

Changes in the nose are normal as that individual physically matures. Unless you are a 'late bloomer' your nose has reached it's adult size and configuration, usually by 15-16 years old for a lady. Your nose will change throughout life but this will be secondary to the normal aging process; for example, it will lengthen secondary to gravity. Most people who are 80+ years old have a longer nose than they did at your age.

Change in shape with age

+1

one important bit of reasearch shows that the spetum stops growing at the age of 13 in boys and 12 in girls.  based on that infor we generally do not perform full scale rhinoplasties on people younger that that unless the nose is signficantly deformed from truama or birth defect and the absence of nasal breathing is causing signifcant distruption in ones life.  but the septum is only one part of the nose.  there are not a lot of other studies that address your specific question, but it it has been my observation that subtle chagnes are always occuring in our facial features.  our appearance is dynamic, not static.  i should note that 12 or 13 may be a little young for a purely cosmetic rhinoplasty in many patients.  with a few more years comes a little more maturity and awareness of the "long term commitment" that is inherent with surgery.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Your nose will change with age

+1

As a subspecialist in pediatric plastic surgery, I see many kids, young and old, looking for rhinoplasty.  Doing an elective rhinoplasty younger than 15 or 16 years of age is not a good idea.  The actual structural growth of your nose halts at that point.  Your nose then plateaus in appearance for a number of years but the overlying skin will thin out.  Some ethnicities and skin types may maintain a more sebaceous or oily and thick appearance that can cause a blunt tip or decreased definition.  As you hit the fourth decade of life and beyond, your cartilage and skin begin to slowly lose elasticity and water content.  This causes weakening and drooping, usually of the tip.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Yes, Your Nose Can Change With Age

+1

This is likey do to the change in the skin over your nose.  During adolescence, the skin on the face may begin to change.  As the skin becomes less sebaceous and oily, it make become thinner.  Thinner skin on the nose can create the appearence of a more defined nose (the nose looking narrower and more sharp).  The nose like the rest of your body will change with age.  As you get much older, the nose will lose some support and begin to slightly droop. 

I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon