Nose Cartilage Rubs Together when I Smile After Rhinoplasty?

when I smile the cartilage in the septum rubs against something...I refuse more surgery and you cannot see it moving, I've asked a few people- they cant see it moving, It is a little annoying, but as long as my nose shape wont change or fall of (haha) I'll get used to it- I just want to know if its normal?

Rubbing cartilage

+1

When you smile the nasal cartilage rubs?  It sounds like you may have a columella strut that may need to be shortened so it does not click against the nasal spine.

Cartilage Clicking or Rubbing after Rhinoplasty

+1

The most likely explanation is that a cartilage graft (probably a columellar strut graft) was placed in the columella or at the base of the nose, and this moves and rubs when you smile.  It can be annoying, but as long as it doesn't detract from the aesthetic result, you can leave it alone.  These grafts are usually placed to stabilize the tip over time, so it should prevent your nose from falling, if anything. If it really bothers you, your surgeon can simply make a small incision in the area and trim the graft back.  You should speak with him/her about your concern.

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon