Ask a doctor

Does Nose Cartilage Heal Itself?

I was recently punched in the face and although I was not hit in the nose, the mid side of my nose on the cartilage seems a little dented. Will this heal or should I consider getting the dent fixed?

Doctor Answers 8

Nose surgery correction

You may have a cartilage collapse and if this is causing cosmetic or breathing concerns, you may need a surgical correction.


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Dent in nose after trauma

If you notice the dent and can see a nose specialist within the week of trauma, the facial plastic surgeon or ENT doctor may be able to move it back to its normal position if it is due to bone movement. If not, wait for all the swelling to come down and you may benefit from a small procedure to help reshape the nose. 


Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Nose Surgery

Allow some time (about 6 months) to see how it heals.  A minor dent might benefit from a non surgical rhinoplasty.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

You might also like...

Dent in nose

If all you have is a superficial dent, the easiest way to address this is by using filler material such as Radiesse or Restylane. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or ENT to verify that there is no internal or structural damage.

Robert L. Kraft, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Hit in face and now node has a dent?

Your nose had to have some impact or the cartilage would not have been affected.  The cartilage will heal and the swelling will go down for several months after the injury.  The dent may become less or more noticeable at that time but why not wait 6 months to see how it all turns out before having anything done?

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Traumatic Dent in Nasal Cartialge

After a traumatic injury to the cartilage of the nose, it is doubtful that the cartialge will regenerate itself. You can either fill in the dent with a filler such as Radiesse or a hyaluronic acid (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane). This is easily done in an office setting with a little local anesthesia with minimal recovery.

However, if this does not work or you do not want to deal with the periodic injections, then a small surgical procedure with a cartilage graft can be done. Usually, a piece of cartilage from the septum or the ear can be used to fill in the dent and this is longer lasting if not permanent.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Get Evaluated for a Non-surgical Rhinoplasty.

Dear Angela,

A slight dent in your nose after a trauma can usually be improved with an injectable filler and topical anesthetic. There is no downtime, and the procedure is painless.

I attached a link to my photos of non-surgical rhinoplasty. Filling in small dents in the nose without surgery are commonly performed procedures.

I don't think you'll see improvement without any intervention.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance to you.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 302 reviews

nasal trauma creating a dent in the cartilage of the nose

 trauma to the nose in creative fracture of the cartilage, or a fracture the nasal bones. If the cartilage is dented inward this may be a result that it is been fractured off of the nasal bones. It is important to make sure there is no associated structural damage internally to the nose. Also important to document the fracture indication he decide to have it fixed and repaired. It also a good idea to wait 3-4 months for most of the swelling to subside before entertaining the idea of considering having it fixed.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.