Does Nose Cartilage Heal Itself?

I was recently punched in the face and although I was not hit in the nose, the mid side of my nose on the cartilage seems a little dented. Will this heal or should I consider getting the dent fixed?

Dent in nose after trauma

+1

If you notice the dent and can see a nose specialist within the week of trauma, the facial plastic surgeon or ENT doctor may be able to move it back to its normal position if it is due to bone movement. If not, wait for all the swelling to come down and you may benefit from a small procedure to help reshape the nose. 

Dr. Zoumalan

Nose Surgery

+1

Allow some time (about 6 months) to see how it heals.  A minor dent might benefit from a non surgical rhinoplasty.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Dent in nose

+1
If all you have is a superficial dent, the easiest way to address this is by using filler material such as Radiesse or Restylane. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or ENT to verify that there is no internal or structural damage.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hit in face and now node has a dent?

+1

Your nose had to have some impact or the cartilage would not have been affected.  The cartilage will heal and the swelling will go down for several months after the injury.  The dent may become less or more noticeable at that time but why not wait 6 months to see how it all turns out before having anything done?

Traumatic Dent in Nasal Cartialge

+1

After a traumatic injury to the cartilage of the nose, it is doubtful that the cartialge will regenerate itself. You can either fill in the dent with a filler such as Radiesse or a hyaluronic acid (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane). This is easily done in an office setting with a little local anesthesia with minimal recovery.

However, if this does not work or you do not want to deal with the periodic injections, then a small surgical procedure with a cartilage graft can be done. Usually, a piece of cartilage from the septum or the ear can be used to fill in the dent and this is longer lasting if not permanent.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Get Evaluated for a Non-surgical Rhinoplasty.

+1

Dear Angela,

A slight dent in your nose after a trauma can usually be improved with an injectable filler and topical anesthetic. There is no downtime, and the procedure is painless.

I attached a link to my photos of non-surgical rhinoplasty. Filling in small dents in the nose without surgery are commonly performed procedures.

I don't think you'll see improvement without any intervention.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance to you.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

nasal trauma creating a dent in the cartilage of the nose

+1
 trauma to the nose in creative fracture of the cartilage, or a fracture the nasal bones. If the cartilage is dented inward this may be a result that it is been fractured off of the nasal bones. It is important to make sure there is no associated structural damage internally to the nose. Also important to document the fracture indication he decide to have it fixed and repaired. It also a good idea to wait 3-4 months for most of the swelling to subside before entertaining the idea of considering having it fixed.