Possible to Have a Broken Nose Without a Deviated Septum?

I got hit in the face with a baseball about 10 years ago. I saw an ENT doctor today and he said that the septum isn't deviated. Is it possible to have a broken nose without a deviated septum. My nose has a huge bump in it that was never there before. Can I have surgery to fix it?

Broken nose without deviated septum

+1

Yes, it is possible to have broken your nose without deviating the septum. And it is definitely possible to correct a hump with rhinoplasty. I would be able to give you the best advice after examining you in person and/or seeing photos. If you wish, you may send any photos to my office and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. My contact info is listed in my profile. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Nasal fracture without a deviated septum can happen

+1

It is certainly possible to sustain an injury to the nose whereby the nasal bones are fractured and the septum itself is straight.  In the majority of cases when the nose is broken, a deviated septum ensues as a result of the trauma.  It is certainly acceptable to undergo an open reduction of the nasal fracture and remove any bump that is present on the bridge.  The bump removal is considered cosmetic, while reduction of the nasal fracture is considered functional.

It is possible to sustain a nasal bone fracture without incurring a septal injury

+1

Anatomically the Nasal Bones and the Nasal Septum are entirely separate entities. Consequently, it is possible to fracture the nasal bones without injuring the septum. If your septum was in fact caused to deviate by the injury this would have been known to you by a change in your ability to breathe out of one or both of your nostrils. If you had no difficulty breathing prior to the injury and no change in your ability to breathe after the injury then your physicians' evaluation of your septum is likely correct. And yes, it is possible to surgically reduce the bump that has formed and to return your nasal profile to a normal its straight state.

David A. Ross, MD

A broken nose refers to anglation of the external nose and broken nasal bones

+1

Patients often have deviated septums with broken noses but not always. The septum is a wall of cartilage and bone between the two sides of the nose internally. This is often disturbed with broken noses but not always. You can also get a new deviated septum without breaking your nose as well. It is important to see a specialist who understands the nose inside and out to determine the extent of new or old injuries.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Deviated septum after a nasal fracture

+1

One of the most common results of a nasal fracture is a deviated septum. It is certainly possible, however, to have a nasal fracture without any or minimal septal deviation. Typically it is best to wait a year after nasal fracture prior to having a rhinoplasty.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Nose Jobs after trauma

+1

It is entirely possible to have a nasal bony fracture pattern without causing a deflection or serous deformation of the septum. If there is a cosmetic deformity of the nasal side wall or nose following the trauma, you may be a candidate for a rhinoplasty or "nose job". 

Of course, it is important to seek the advice of a certified physician specialist, plastic surgeon, or ENT doctor and undergo a thorough examination and consultation before embarking upon any treatment plan.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Yes, that can occur

+1

The nasal bones can be deviated without affecting the septum although this is rather uncommon. Most fractures involve both the nasal bones and septum. This deviation or asymmetry can be improved upon by a rhinoplasty. Cartilage may need to be taken from the septum to place for grafting but it wounds as if your septum does not need to be straightened at the same time. 

Samson Lee, MD

A Broken Nose Without Septa Deviation

+1

It is possible to have nasal fractures without septal deviation.  The beauty of rhinoplasty surgery is the fact that the opertion is individualized, doing as little or as much as necessary for each patient. If you're not comfortable with your consultant's analysis, get a second opinion.

Rhinoplasty Surgery may be used to remove a bump from your nose.

+1

After breaking your nose, your nasal septum may or may not be deviated. If you're breathing well through both sides of your nose, then your septum is likely fine and will not require surgical intervention. I hope you find this helpful. 

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose without a deviated septum

+1

Interesting question. The simple answer is YES! But there are issues to be considered, as Dr. Aldea has stated. The best thing to do is see a boarded PS in your area.

From MIAMI DR. B