Nose Broken 4 Times, Never Had Treatment for It, Get Daily Headaches Now, Any Relation??

My nose has been broken 4 times within a 3 year span. I never had it treated... its been about 4 years since the last time it has been broken. I have been getting daily headaches for about 2 years now, could it be because of the untreated broken nose? Its evident by looking that its crooked, so I can only imagine the internal damage... Thanks for your time. :)

Broken nose and Headaches

+2

It is uncommon for a broken nose to lead to headaches.  However, trauma to the nose may lead to a septal deviation which can impinge on the turbinate or the lateral wall on the inside of the nose.  This may create a pressure point and lead to an entity termed Sluder's headache.  A thorough evaluation of the inside of your nose can assess this.  Good luck.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Headache nasal fracture

+2

I have had patients who have sustained fractures and complain of long term sensitivity and localized pain and headache at the fracture site as if they had a neuralgia. There is also an entity known as Sluder syndrome where there is internal deviation and spurs that make contact with the turbinates and cause release of inflammatory mediators which cause headache. You may also have some secondary sinus blockage as well. I recommend you have it evaluated and fixed. However the goal of surgery needs to be aesthetic and internal functional improvement. Any headache relief would be a bonus and not a specific expectation.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose Causing Headaches

+2

It is unusual for headaches to be related to a broken nose in the past but I have had patients in which the 2 were linked.   Nasal trauma can lead to nasal deviation and septal deviation.  The septum is made of bone and cartilage and divides the left from the right side of the nasal airway (inside the nose).    Occasionally a bad fracture can lead to a bone spur or piece of septal bone or cartilage which touches the sidewall of the nose.  This can create "contact pain" which patients experience as pressure or headaches that increases or decreases with swelling of the mucous lining of the nose.   I tell patients with this situation that their symptoms may improve with septoplasty with removal of the spur but it is difficult to tell if that is in fact what is causing their pain. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Headaches after Broken Nose

+1

You need to have an examination by an otolaryngologist, facial plastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon to determine if your headaches have been caused by your broken nose. For example, nasal obstruction after nasal fractures could cause sinus problems and headaches.