I Had a Nose Bleed After Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty 8 days ago.I had a severe deviation of the septum and an excision/replacement of septum technique was used. I had nasal packing for 3 days.Yesterday during a heated discussion with my family, my nose started bleeding. This lasted for about 10 minutes. Then I spent the night no blood has come out of my nose, and it is not coming out now. However I still feel a sensation of liquid inside my nose,Can the blood still coming out internally? Can a nose bleed compromise final results?

Rhinoplasty and Nosebleeds

+2

Nosebleeds are a risk of rhinoplasty and any nasal surgery. Patients are always educated and instructed to avoid any strenuous exercise, heavy lifting, or bending over or any straining for up to 2 weeks after surgery. Those activities will tend to raise the blood pressure in the head, leading to bleeding through the healing internal incisions in the nose. As you may realize now, emotional straining has the same effect. If the bleeding occurs and settles down on its own, it should still be reported to your surgeon. If it does not stop, packing may be required, but always try to see your surgeon rather than the emergency room. If bones were cut and moved in your rhinoplasty procedure, inappropriate placement of nasal packing can actually shift the bones out of position.

One episode of bleeding does not put your results at risk, but follow up exams with your surgeon are very important to keep an eye on things. Best of luck and happy healing!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nosebleed After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello. You are most likely not experiencing internal bleeding. It is very common to have blood clots in the nose 8 days after rhinoplasty. Minor bleeding should not cause problems, but if you are unsure you should see your doctor for an evaluation.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Nose Bleed After Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on your description it is obvious that elevating your blood pressure has caused your nasal bleeding during the "heated discussion with the family".

It is recommended that you stay as calm and relaxed as possible as you are at 8 days post-op and you are in need to recover as best as you can physically and psychologically since the impact of the procedure is not easy with the changes and the anticipations.

Several patients undergo some sort of a stressful situation where the elevated pressure leads to nasal bleeding and they end up with great results. So, what happened to you should not effect the end-results of your surgery.

It is important to communicate with your surgeon and to follow his/her instructions religiously while protecting your nose from any possible trauma.

I hope this helps and the best of wishes to you.

Thank you for your post.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Post Rhinoplasty Bleeding

+1

By the description of events that took place you may have elevated your blood pressure in the heated discussion causing this reaction.This is a time to heal and if that is not possible around family members then I suggest a friends house for a few days. It is not uncommon to feel like the nose is dripping or bleeding after Rhinoplasty and this sensation will dissipate soon. See your surgeon for a follow up appointment and discuss your concerns. This incident should not compromise your result !Best regards and good luck! Michael V.Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD