Post Rhinoplasty: Will my Nose Ever Go Back to Normal?

I had an open rhinoplasty 7 months ago...when the cast was taken off, my nose looked like the first picture, then it has been looking like this for the last 6 months.

I'm frustrated that it will never go back to normal. I have had cortisone and kenolog shots, and nothing works.

I got a silicone implant on my nose now, so I dont know if that is what is causing so much swelling. My nose didnt look like this before, what happened? Is it going to get better or should i get a revision? Thanks

Rhinoplasty implant and swelling

+4

Your pictures indicate that you had a reasonable result immediately after surgery and subsequently have had swelling that makes the nose uniformly larger. A variety of factors can cause that, including low-grade infection, inflammatory reaction, fluid collection, and simple post-op swelling. Your surgeon will help determine what it is and what can be done. However if you were pleased with the result early post-op, it's unlikely that the implant size or shape was wrong.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Issues after Rhinoplasty

+4

From the photos, of your nose, it looks like you may have an L-shaped silicone nasal implant.  This would explain why, after 7 months post-Rhinoplasty, the nasal bridge is wide (the silicone implant is wider than your pre-op nose) and your nasal tip is larger than before the Rhinoplasty

The tip is wider because the short vertical section, of the L-shaped implant, is literally placed between the two sides, of the nasal tip cartilage and as such adds width to the nasal tip.  Over my 20 plus years of performing Rhinoplasty, I've seen numerous patients with these L-shaped nasal implants (placed elsewhere, because I do not use these or like these implants) with the same results.  The nasal tip skin can also become very hard, red, swollen and in some cases, the implant can erode through the skin.

The tip portion, of the implant should be removed and the tip cartilages supported with a conchal cartilage ear graft...IMHO.

The swelling of your nose appears to be related to your silicone nasal implant.

+3

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. Your excessive swelling 7 mos. after rhinoplasty with silicone implant could indicate possible infection. You may want to ask your surgeon about a 2 week course of antibiotics to see if that might help you. If antibiotics and steroids fails to resolve your swelling, you may need to discuss implant removal with your surgeon.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after silicone

+2

It appears that you are having a reaction to the implant.  It is unlikely to be infected if it has been going on for several months but it is possible to have a reaction to any implant in the nose that can cause pain, swelling, etc.  At this point, your nose should be getting smaller, not larger.  I would follow-up with your surgeon, and, if this does not produce a satisfactory answer, get a second opinion from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

This is not a normal result with implant placement. It looks like you have swelling secondary to inflammation. This could be seroma or infectious process. Need to have this evaluated ASAP.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon