Why Does my Nose Look So Asymmetric?

I had a primary rhinoplasty done 3 months ago. Before my rhinoplasty, my nostrils were somewhat asymmetric. After my rhinoplasty, my nose and my nostrils (frontal view) look even more asymmetric. What is going on with my nose that is making it look so distorted/asymmetric (Frontal View)? I realize that I only have 3 months post-op but would a revision be necessary to fix this? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+2

Although the photos do show some asymmetry, without knowing exactly what was done surgically it is impossible to know the true culprit(s) whether it be pre-operative asymmetry that was not corrected completely, surgical destabilization of the supportive structures of the nasal tip/nostrils, and/or early post-operative changes from swelling.  Be patient with the healing process and be sure to consult back with your operating surgeon.  Best of luck...RAS    

Nosrtrils and nose asymmetric after Rhinoplasty

+1

Its impossible to advise you why we see what we are seeing 3 months after your Rhinoplasty.  You should ask the surgeon that did your Rhinoplasty these questions as he/she is the only one that knows what was done to your nose during that surgery.

Rhinoplasty and symmetry.

+1

Asymmetry post rhinoplasty is a common concern:

1. Our face is rarely symmetric before surgery.  This is often seen in the nose.  One nostril maybe larger or shaped differently than the other.  Our nose may be shifted to one side.  If you were to make a mirror image of the right side of your nose and combine them, then compare this to a mirror image of the left side of your nose, you will see that the two noses do not resemble each other.  This asymmetry will persist post op.
  2. Swelling post op especially in the first few months can further accentuate this asymmetry.  It is best to wait one year to make a final determination regarding the need for revision surgery.  

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril Asymmetry

+1

Nostril asymmetry is present 3 months after your rhinoplasty. Perfect symmetry is not a reasonable goal, but If this does not improve, consider a revision.

Why Does my Nose Look So Asymmetric?

+1

Facial asymmetry is present in everyone to some degree. Therefore, the nose is longer on one side and slightly shorter on the other. This is true of the nostrils too. Sometimes these differences are very small and not noticed preoperatively and become a major problem after when more attention are given to the nose. Preoperative attention to these asmmetries will reduce possibilities of postoperative problems. Sometimes, the asymmetry is in the quality of the tissues such the thickness of the alar lobule. In your case, the left side is thicker than the right and you cannot reduce this without causing scars. You will need a revision at least 12 months after surgery with an experience surgeon in this field.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostrils asymmetric after rhinoplasty

+1

Nostrils are asymmetric to begin with. The asymmetry may have been present prior to surgery but you did not notice it then. There are other factors in your case. Timing, you still have swelling and the asymmetries may not be real,but a function of the swelling. If this is the case, the nostrils should even out. Asymmetries can also be created if cartilage support has been lost after too much was removed during surgery. 

It is also not clear from your pictures whether an alar base reduction was performed, this may also cause the asymmetry. I suggest you follow up closely with your surgeon.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostils asymmetric after rhinoplasty

+1

It is easy in the photos to say what is different, one side compared to the other, though photos before might give better insight as to how you got where you are. The soft tissue of the tip where the lobule joins the cheek is nicely rounded on one side and not on the other. This may be a natural shape or caused by rhinoplasty during a Weir procedure to shape the nostril and nasal base. Another factor can be the support of the nostril rim which may be deficient on the 'flattened' side. Cause is uncertain, though a revision can improve the situation.

peterejohnsonmd