Nose Appears Too Short and Distance Between Nose and Lip Too Long Four Months After Rhinoplasty, What To Do? (photo)

I had an open rhinoplasty done on April 29th, 2013. My nose was broken during the procedure. I hate my new nose. I regret this terribly. I feel it was too aggressive and now looks too short although the doctor said he didn't shorten it at all. Also, now since my tip is up, the distance between my nose and upper lip appears very long making me look masculine. I am beside myself and don't know what to do. I had to take out a loan I couldn't afford just to have this done the first time.Please help.

Nose Appears Too Short and Distance Between Nose and Lip Too Long Four Months After Rhinoplasty, What To Do?

+1

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your question and photos.  The tip rotation is related to length, but also the projection is related to length.  I think if the projection is brought back slightly, the nose will look longer.  You have a slightly long lip as well which can also be altered.  Using photo modification software might be a good technique for you and your surgeon to sit down and decide what is the best course for you as far as nasal dimensions prior to any revision.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The nose and upper lip are intimately related

+1

Hello Kelly,

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I am sorry to hear about your disappointment.  Since the nose and lip are intimately related to one another a change in one can affect the appearance of the other.  At this time I recommend sitting down with your plastic surgeon and discussing in detail what changes have occurred that you do not like.  It may be that a lip augmentation or lip shortening procedure is needed or that you may want a combination of that and a revision rhinoplasty.  These are sometimes complex issues to define but the more specific you can be and the better the communication with your plastic surgeon the higher the chance of a successful result.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Post op rhinoplasty

+1

Give yourself time to heal and for swelling to resolve.  It will continue to change for over a year.  If at that time you are still unhappy a revision could be done.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

#Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Every knowledgeable rhinoplasty surgeon will tell you to wait a full year before you undergo a revision rhinoplasty because it takes this long to see close to 100% resolution of your swelling. Your tip was too long to start with what appeared to be excess at the tip cartilage. This needed to be reduced and does not appear to make you look masculine. Be patient and stay in touch with your surgeon as your swelling resolves.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Your nasal tip is far from done healing so patience is key.

+1

Hello KellyZup,

Thanks for your question.  You nasal tip has a long way to go before it is done healing.  You can see the swelling clearly in the tissue behavior of your tip.  Since your surgeon states that they didn't shorten your nose, it is probable that what you see is secondary to swelling.  The tip can rotate up and give a more raised look when it is inflated with edema.  The nasal tip edema typically resolves completely around months 10-12.  I would recommend that you talk to your surgeon about nasal tip taping and the possibility of nasal tip steroids to try and manage swelling.  Mostly, I would just give it time.  It will probably clear up when the tissues relax and settle back down.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon