Nose Looks No Different After Rhinoplasty, What Should I Do?

its now been 5 weeks after surgery to straighten and remove hump,not much swelling at all its all solid and ive still got a hump and its clearly not straight at all, at the top of my nose on the right i can now feel a ridge round the right side, my surgeon said he doesnt need to do any thing with the hump because it will dissapear when he straightens it, is that true i thought they have to shave bone off? So my nose looks no different at all

Dissatisfied with Results 5 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry your not satisfied with the results of your Rhinoplasty, but you are only 5 weeks post-op. Your appearance will change over the next 6-12 months as swelling decreases and healing progresses. At this time all you can do is be patient. 

Results After Rhinoplasty Take Time

+1

I agree with other surgeons, five weeks is too early to make any educated assessment of your nose.

It takes 6-12 months for the final result to show.

Be patient!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about ineffectiveness of rhinoplasty 5 weeks after surgery

+1

Five weeks after a rhinoplasty is still too early to be able to determine the more long term appearance as there is still quite a bit of swelling still present. You would need to wait at least 6 months before having at least a better idea of your outcome. (Close-up pre and post operative photos from different angles would be helpful as well.)

I would recommend that you share your concerns with your surgeon now and then just be patient.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Post-op Rhinoplasty results

+1

As plastic surgeons we get this question/concern often, unfortunately rhinoplasty results can take up to a full year or longer because swelling takes that long to completely reside.  Always best to double check with your treating surgeon about what surgical technique was done or not done and why...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Rhinoplasty results.

+1

5 weeks isn't enough time to really see your results from rhinoplasty. Although swelling may not be obvioius it can take months to fully be gone. Removing bone is not always necessary in rhinoplasty and can even result in adverse results if done when it's not needed. The hardest thing about any cosmetic surgery is waiting for the true final outcome. I would recommend speaking to your surgeon and asking to see your before and after photos side by side. It may not be obvious at this time but seeing the before can help see the changes. Swelling can also cause the nose to look uneven or crooked so again it's just a waiting game. If there is anything that can be done more than likely your surgeon will appreciate the open communication and opportunity to help you through the process.

Lucy Barr, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose does not look any different after surgery

+1

Your photos are not close-up enough to be able to make an observation about your result.  Your best bet is to express your concern to your surgeon.  Even though you believe that all of your swelling is gone, it is not yet.  It can take months and even up to one year or more for all swelling to resolve after rhinoplasty.  I commonly have patients express concern that their nose is not much different in the first few weeks after surgey.  Rhinoplasty patients need a healthy dose of patience and that can be difficult.  It is certainly within your rights to talk to your surgeon about your concerns at any time.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD