Has my Septoplasty Failed? And More, Please Help!

I had to have septoplasty to help my breathing through one nostril. I am 4 weeks post op and one the opposite side has been blocked and very obstructed since i had my splints removed. I am having extremely bad sinus pain above that sided eyebrow too. My nose still looks crooked although i know that would need rhino, but this seems like it has made it worse. I also wanted to ask, i have slight frontal bossing, could this be related to my sinus problems ive had for so long. Any advice is welcome!

Post-op problems

Many times the "good" side will be temporarily more congested after correcting the deviated septum.  It can takes several weeks to know the final result.  You may also have developed a sinus infection in the post-op period.  This is not uncommon particularly if you had splints or you nose packed for a period of time.  I doubt the frontal bossing is related to sinus problems.  It would be best to address these issues with you doctor. If things do not improve you may need a CT scan.

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

329 18th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203

Healing from a septoplasty

Hello, and sorry to hear about your negative side effects following surgery. A septoplasty would not make your nose appear more crooked if it was not straight to begin with. If anything, a septoplasty may slightly improve a crooked nose. This is due to the fact that a deviated septum can lead to a deviated nose. You are going to be congested following a septoplasty. This is usually an issue that lasts around two weeks, and sometimes longer depending on the patient. It is unlikely that frontal bossing could result in a sinus issue. If there are sinus issues that are present, they would need to be addressed separately by a board certified ENT. At this point, I would recommend following up with your surgeon who performed the septoplasty and let them know about the discomfort you are experiencing. If necessary, he or she can provide you with a referral to an ENT to help address your sinus issue. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Healing after septoplasty

Did you have your sinuses done at the same time?  Your septum may still be crooked or by straightening it now you may have unmasked a nasal valve problem on that side.  I'd need to examine you and probably get a CT scan of your sinuses to better answer this questions. thanks

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

799 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

Post Septoplasty Swelling and Pain

Dear Bawz,

Four weeks post septoplasty it is common to still have residual swelling. I would suggest frequent appointments with your treating surgeon. A direct examination inside the nose will further help with proper diagnosis. Best regards! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Problems breathing after septoplasty

Dear bawz,

• It is most likely just residual swelling
  • If you are worried, you should just go see your surgeon so he can take a look inside the nose and reassure you
  • A septoplasty really does not affect the sinuses, the frontal bossing requires a different workup to see why you have it, probably a CT scan to start off with

Best regards

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

201 South Lasky Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Healing after septoplasty

Your concerns are common after septoplasty.  Just like any part of your body you nose will require time to heal.  One month out patients can expect to have intermittent nasal obstruction as the nose settles. Also sinus pressure can be felt during this time as the sinuses can get temporarily inflamed. 

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

737 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021