Has my Septoplasty Failed? And More, Please Help!

I had to have septoplasty to help my breathing through one nostril. I am 4 weeks post op and one the opposite side has been blocked and very obstructed since i had my splints removed. I am having extremely bad sinus pain above that sided eyebrow too. My nose still looks crooked although i know that would need rhino, but this seems like it has made it worse. I also wanted to ask, i have slight frontal bossing, could this be related to my sinus problems ive had for so long. Any advice is welcome!

Healing from a septoplasty

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about your negative side effects following surgery. A septoplasty would not make your nose appear more crooked if it was not straight to begin with. If anything, a septoplasty may slightly improve a crooked nose. This is due to the fact that a deviated septum can lead to a deviated nose. You are going to be congested following a septoplasty. This is usually an issue that lasts around two weeks, and sometimes longer depending on the patient. It is unlikely that frontal bossing could result in a sinus issue. If there are sinus issues that are present, they would need to be addressed separately by a board certified ENT. At this point, I would recommend following up with your surgeon who performed the septoplasty and let them know about the discomfort you are experiencing. If necessary, he or she can provide you with a referral to an ENT to help address your sinus issue. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery!

Healing after septoplasty

+1

Did you have your sinuses done at the same time?  Your septum may still be crooked or by straightening it now you may have unmasked a nasal valve problem on that side.  I'd need to examine you and probably get a CT scan of your sinuses to better answer this questions. thanks

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Post Septoplasty Swelling and Pain

+1

Dear Bawz,

Four weeks post septoplasty it is common to still have residual swelling. I would suggest frequent appointments with your treating surgeon. A direct examination inside the nose will further help with proper diagnosis. Best regards! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Problems breathing after septoplasty

+1

Dear bawz,

• It is most likely just residual swelling
  • If you are worried, you should just go see your surgeon so he can take a look inside the nose and reassure you
  • A septoplasty really does not affect the sinuses, the frontal bossing requires a different workup to see why you have it, probably a CT scan to start off with

Best regards

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Healing after septoplasty

+1

Your concerns are common after septoplasty.  Just like any part of your body you nose will require time to heal.  One month out patients can expect to have intermittent nasal obstruction as the nose settles. Also sinus pressure can be felt during this time as the sinuses can get temporarily inflamed. 

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon